Talk

Advanced search

Yr 4 Spellings!! Can you help?

(6 Posts)
MamaMimi Thu 18-Oct-12 18:27:16

Can you help us to help dd1 with her spelling homework?

She gets her list of words to learn and also has to write each word in a sentence, presumably to show understanding of the meaning and to help remember the spelling. All fairly standard.

Each week there have been one or two words that have been tricky for her to think of a sentence for and we have encouraged her to look up the word in the dictionary, then we've helped with the explanation until she can think of how it would fit into a sentence that someone of her age (8) might use.

The first word in her spelling list has even stumped us this week, can anyone think of a sentence for SUBJECTION? - that makes sense to an 8yo.

Would this work?
- 'The RSPCA help animals that are under the SUBJECTION of cruelty by their owners'

TIA

Elibean Thu 18-Oct-12 18:30:36

Goodness shock

I have a BA hons in English, and have never used the word 'subjection' grin

Sorry, not very helpful....but sympathies on your dd's spelling list. We've had a few rarely used words, but not this one....I'd used 'subjected' but have never used the noun.

witchwithallthetrimmings Thu 18-Oct-12 18:31:05

this is probably the most famous use of it

Elibean Thu 18-Oct-12 18:35:36

Ah, yes. So you could use 'The subjection of animals to cruel treatment is a concern of the RSPCA'.....

MamaMimi Thu 18-Oct-12 19:30:27

Ok, yes. Thank you for clearing that up a bit more in my mind.

Like you Elibean I think that it is much less commonly used than 'subjected', and 'subjection' sounds much more awkward in a sentence, especially when you can't really work out how it fits into the sentence!

MamaMimi Thu 18-Oct-12 19:31:34

Now I just have to work out how to explain how that works to dd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now