Talk

Advanced search

State schools around Guildford and Godalming

(8 Posts)
tweety89 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:44:47

Hi ladies,
DD is 2.2 and will be starting school when she's 4. As we're currently considering moving nearer the school's catchment area I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations about good state schools around South Surrey (Guildford, Godalming and surrounding villages).
Any suggestions welcome! smile
Thank you!

BlueStringPudding Wed 17-Oct-12 21:50:00

Godalming - Busbridge Infants, Moss Lane, St Edmunds (Catholic).
Villages - St Mary's Shackleford, Puttenham Infants, St Mary's Chiddingfold, All Saints, Tilford

tweety89 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:21:58

BlueStringPudding I've heard a lot of positive comments about Busbridge and Moss Lane, so it's reassuring when mums from the forum recommend them too! smile
Thanks for the villages' schools, I''ll check them and the respective areas for housing too.

HandbagAddiction Wed 17-Oct-12 23:34:06

You might also want to look at Milford infants or Witley infants. Both also in surrounding villages to Godalming.

BlueStringPudding Thu 18-Oct-12 09:55:36

I went to Busbridge myself many, many years ago - and friends with children have been happy there too. The challenge will be getting close enough to the school, as the catchment area for Busbridge Infants in particular is small - a friend from Bargate Wood was too far out (even though the estate agents will probably tell you it's within catchment). Her DS went to Moss Lane and was very happy there (although think he only got in via waiting list).

St Mary's, Shackleford and Puttenham have a wider catchment, but St Mary's is very small (PAN of 25), and priority is given to people in parts of Godalming who are closer 'as the crow flies', than to the further reaches of its own parish of Shackleford and PeperHarow - which are significantly nearer by road/walking - so be careful with that. The newish Head at St Mary's dropped the Nativity Play which is a shame as that was lovely (had DDs go there some years ago), but otherwise she seems quite popular.

Puttenham School is lovely with lots of outdoor space, and a great play area just outside the school. It runs a good variety of After School Clubs.

St James' in Elstead also worth a look - even though its last OFSTED wasn't great, the parents I know there all seem very happy with it. (goes through to end of Year 6)

Be aware that the infant schools only go up to Year 2, so you'd probably need to think about where you'd want to go for Years 3-6 - as that is something you need to think about too. Good junior school choices would be Busbridge Junior in Godalming, Chandler in Witley, and Waverley Abbey in Tilford.

Dededum Thu 18-Oct-12 18:55:45

Guildford - state schools - Pewley Down, Burpham, Boxgrove, St Nicholas, Sandfield

tweety89 Sat 20-Oct-12 00:25:17

Sorry for the delay, DD has chickenpox... :S

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I'll check them all! smile)

mummytime Sat 20-Oct-12 08:44:01

There are lots of good primary schools in this area, even those not mentioned (eg. Guildford what about Bushy Hill or St Thomas's and I quite like Guildford Grove). Think about where you or DH need to get to, what kind of houses you like, and maybe very vaguely abut secondaries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now