Talk

Advanced search

some help please - advice moving to/around stirlingshire

(11 Posts)
am988 Tue 16-Oct-12 15:34:05

Hi,

We re planning to move to/around stirlignshire as husband getting a job in Glasgow - we have NO clue which areas would be good for family with two young sons (20months and 6weeks old!) - could anyone please recommend anywhere which has good nurseries/primary schools - is a good area to raise a family with activities for children/family (and for me who will probably have no job!)- and within commutable distance to Glasgow.

Thanks for any advice,

A

LindyHemming Tue 16-Oct-12 16:29:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

am988 Wed 17-Oct-12 15:49:28

Thank you very much Euphemia - that is a good starting point - where in Stirling should we be looking at please? Any particular areas?

Thank you
A

roughtyping Wed 17-Oct-12 15:57:15

Strathblane, Balfron, Killearn are all Stirlingshire and an easy commute to Glasgow.

I don't know Stirling (the city) very well but OH went to uni there and lived in Riverside. V close to town centre with lots of nice walks around, Riverside Primary is there too.

AudreyCox Wed 17-Oct-12 21:57:23

I second either Dunblane or Bridge of Allan. Both are lovely and prime commuter area for both Glasgow and Edinburgh. I seem to remember the primary in BofA had a few issues but that may have been resolved now. I think all 3 primaries in Dunblane are good. There's also a new state of the art secondary in BofA-Wallace I think!

celtiethree Wed 17-Oct-12 22:42:54

Agree with Dunblane, if you think that you will still be in the region when your DCs are older then the high school is good. Commuting to Glasgow is OK as well. Loads of clubs/activities.

celtiethree Wed 17-Oct-12 22:47:38

Should have added, if you are set on Stirling then Kings Park is really nice but will depend on your budget, think it is the most expensive area though part of Dunblane & Bridge of Allan are more expensive.

roughtyping Wed 17-Oct-12 23:14:28

Oh yes, Kings Park is lovely. I would love to live in Stirling smile

Journey Thu 18-Oct-12 19:32:35

Although you can get into Glasgow fairly easily from Bridge of Allan and Dunblane it is easier from Stirling. What amenities would you like to be near to? What is your budget (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you prefer old or new houses? If you give me a little more details I'll be able to tell you what areas might suit you, and tell you what to expect house price wise.

Scottie04 Fri 19-Oct-12 14:36:07

Stirling is my home town but I haven't lived there for years. Dunblane is very nice and has good schools. Kings park is lovely but very expensive, I think they mainly go to Allans School. The Causewayhead is nice and they would go to Riverside Primary. Cambusbarron is ok. Stirling has all new High Schools, just built in the last few years and there are loads of new houses being built on the old school grounds (Stirling High, Wallace High Dunblane high and St Modans (RC). There are loads of things to do in and around Stirling, I'd so love to go home!!!
Let me know if I can help any further.

am988 Tue 30-Oct-12 09:00:57

Thank you all so much for all these suggestions - incredibly useful and it is a good way to start research - budget: not more than 200k for hse.

Probably will be needing to move to a 'larger place' where there could be some opportunity for any part-time work for me eventually...

will look into the places you mention and will get back as probably will be needing some more help.

once again thank you all so much - and Scottie04 I understand what you mean by wanting to go home - not easy..

xx A

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now