Talk

Advanced search

dyscalculia ??

(4 Posts)
ElinElin Tue 16-Oct-12 10:55:32

A bit worried about dd. Not sure if I am reading to much into things or not. She is very good at reading and is in top reading group in school. Literacy in general is going quite well for her. Spelling, writing etc. Her maths however she is struggling with. I do quite a lot of work with her (maths) at home more than a lot of kids I think but she seems sto struggle. If we are just doing one thing just adding for example. She seems to get the hang of it and does it quite well but if we move on to something else she can get so muddled up and give me an answer that makes no sense at all even though the question was quite easy. I have been reading about dyscalculia and think that she shows some symptoms but not sure if what she is going through is just normal development and she needs more pracitse or if it's somehting that needs to be assessed. In school they have 5 maths groups according to ability and she is in the middle one. Your thought please.

CecilyP Tue 16-Oct-12 12:18:07

You have not said what age your DD is but, if she is in the middle group for maths, then it sounds as if she is performing averagely for her age. Just because she is good at reading does not mean that she has to be good at everything.

ElinElin Tue 16-Oct-12 13:00:08

She is in Year 2. I know she won't automatically be good at maths just cause she is good at literacy I was just trying to gove you a picture of her. It's just that she seems to find it very difficult to grasp concepts of maths and can get very muddled up. And the amount of work she is doing but with little progress. But like you say she seems to be average at maths in school. It's just that she works and practises but can't see results of improvement

withgreatpower Tue 16-Oct-12 13:13:58

You might want to have a look at this book:

The Dyscalculia Toolkit: Supporting Learning Difficulties in Maths

If you have the time and patience, there are quite a few suggestions in the book that you could try with your daughter.

Also, you might want to get a set of Cuisenaire rods, for her to play with.

I think it's very important to start well with Maths, and by this I don't mean knowing times tables, number bonds, etc (although all this really helps), I mean understanding that Maths makes sense, and that it is about real life, not just a set of rules to be applied to get the right answer.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now