Talk

Advanced search

What ORT level are DK Readers level 2 please?

(9 Posts)
farrowandballs Mon 15-Oct-12 19:24:42

As title really. In particular (if this is of use to anyone?) the DK Level 2 reader on Han Solo. Thanks

farrowandballs Mon 15-Oct-12 19:55:04

Sorry, maybe I should give some background. DS (Y1) has been able to 'read' for ages now. He reads comics, recipe books, lists of ingredients, simple books like Horrid Henry or The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, Top Trumps, instructions for board games, basically everything and anything. He is getting really frustrated and annoyed that he's on ORT level 5 at school (BTW it is him getting annoyed, not me, I make sure he has access to any literature he wants at home, so I have no worries about his 'progress').

Anyway, he got this book out of the library and just read it to me (no problems - had to sound out 'compartments'; appropriate expression; demonstrated amazing comprehension bearing in mind he's never seen the film Star Wars!) and I thought maybe if I could say to the teachers 'this is the sort of book you have at school, apparently it's level x, could you please move him onto that level?' they might go for it?

Maybe I'm wrong and he should be on level 5. I dunno. I don't want to seem pushy - it's a great school and I have every faith in their teaching methods but he hasn't struggled or stumbled on a word in his school books since about this time last year.

He has had some very serious problems with another child in his class - a child who he idolises and who DS believes is amazing at everything. I just feel it would be great for DS's confidence to have what appears to be a natural talent for reading recognised in school in a way that is meaningful to him.

Thanks for reading!

numbum Mon 15-Oct-12 20:02:48

I think they're around a stage 7 ORT. But I could be wrong and am sure I'll be corrected if I am grin

farrowandballs Mon 15-Oct-12 20:36:15

thanks numbum. Will see if they'll put him up to stage 7.

Tiggles Tue 16-Oct-12 09:26:57

I bought some of those for DS when he was a level 7 and he could read them with ease, so I guess 6 or 7?

caffeinated Tue 16-Oct-12 11:08:19

I'd say 6.

farrowandballs Tue 16-Oct-12 13:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeWe Tue 16-Oct-12 14:15:14

Just a quick suggestion. I generally get a better response if rather than saying "he should be on 7" I'd have said "He's finding these books pretty easy. These XXX are what he's reading at home."

Generally I find teachers are more receptive to "what do you think" than "I think he should be..."

farrowandballs Tue 16-Oct-12 14:26:19

Thanks DeWe (and sorry for withdrawing my post above - got worried that I'd put too much information on here). I'm not sure what sort of response I'll get. I have a super relationship with the teacher and all the staff and they know I rate them incredibly highly and have a lot of faith in them, so I'm hoping my note won't be taken as too bolshy! Oh no! I really hope I haven't upset them. I kind of rush wrote it this morning and now I'm wishing I hadn't. They really are fantastic and I'd hate to upset them. agh! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now