Talk

Advanced search

leapfrog tag reading system - any good...?

(15 Posts)
Noomininoo Sat 13-Oct-12 09:56:49

My 5yo Yr1 DD is, how shall we put this, somewhat of a reluctant reader. Ability wise she's pretty good (ORT level 5) but trying to get her to read at home is like pulling teeth.

With Christmas coming up (and GPs nagging me for present ideas) I was wondering if it would be worth getting her a Leapfrog Tag reading system to try & help encourage her to read a bit more (as she's more likely to try to read if there's technology involved as she's a bit of a techno nut). I was also thinking of extending her bedtime by half an hour but only if she uses it to read quietly.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of them & if they are any good. I am a little concerned that it will make her a bit lazy & that she'll just use the pen to read all the words instead of attempting them herself but at least she'll be doing something rather than the nothing she does at the moment.

oricella Sat 13-Oct-12 10:06:11

there was a product test on this last year; it didn't really work for us and a year later still haven't really come back to it

Noomininoo Sat 13-Oct-12 12:56:04

Oooh thanks oricella that's most helpful...

sleeplessinsuburbia Sat 13-Oct-12 13:04:09

My boys have loved it and have one each. They have used it every night before bed for nearly 3 years. I'm not sure how effective it is as a learning tool but I think it must have some benefits.

MegMogAndOwl Sat 13-Oct-12 13:39:11

What about trying ebooks if she's into technology?

There's free ones on Oxford owl. And probably other websites too

Tgger Sat 13-Oct-12 15:57:15

Haven't heard of that- but yes, why not try e books?

BieneMaja Sat 13-Oct-12 16:05:22

Tag reader didn't do much for us either. The books are expensive too and there isn't that much variety.

Oxford owl is good, specially if u have a tablet!

MuddlingMackem Sat 13-Oct-12 21:44:30

I'm glad that ours have had the Leap pads and Leapsters. We've had great value for money from those. However, I've never been tempted to switch to the Tag as I thought it looked pretty rubbish. In my opinion their older products were much better for reading. However, the replacement for the Leapster seems really good from what people whose kids have them have said, the ones which look like mini iPads although I can't remember what they're called. smile

MuddlingMackem Sat 13-Oct-12 21:48:05

Actually, my mistake, it might be the V-Tech Innotab which people have told us about. However, looking at the Leapfrog site it would appear that the Leap pad 2 is the same sort of thing.

wigglywoowoo Sat 13-Oct-12 21:50:40

DD had the leapfrog tag and only really used it for long car journeys. I sold it over the summer as it was gathering dust. I would second the recommendation of the Leapfrog Leapad as DD always plays with this and all the games are educational and she needs to read the instructions as part of the games. We're so happy with it we were thinking of upgrading to the LeapPad2.

SavoyCabbage Sat 13-Oct-12 22:02:42

We have just got a leappad2 and the games are good. Definitely engaging and educational.

Another idea is a subscription to Reading Eggs on the computer. Have a google for free codes. You can usually get a month for free to give it a try. My dd loves it.

simpson Sat 13-Oct-12 22:09:20

DDv(4) in reception has got one and my God, it is worth it's weight in gold.....

It means I get 5 mins peace!!!

She loves it!!!

Had a total nightmare setting it up though...

Jas Mon 15-Oct-12 23:03:19

Sorry to crash this thread, but Simpson - we need you on the book swap thread! Thanks.

simpson Tue 16-Oct-12 18:19:09

Oh sorry blush

Carpediem2007 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:48:13

We have a TAG system and it has not helped with reading but it is just another fun electronic toy. DS loves the world map and planet book - as games and info.
We found that having our own books helped as DS was not interested in reading again books he had read at school. the novelty helped and he reads to us every night, preferably a story we don't know as it is more meaningful. He is now reading anything in sight, road signs, adverts, cereal boxes, yogurt pots, just to know what it says.

Maybe getting your child to read things written around you may make it more meaningful and motivating?

Along these lines, any PC games with written instructions will motivate children quite a bit :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now