Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Y1 homework (learning log style), should I help with spelling?

(8 Posts)
owlelf Fri 12-Oct-12 16:37:37

DD's Y1 class have homework each weekend. The school uses a learning log approach to homework- So they are given a fairly broad statement and then they can do the work in whatever way they want.

At the start if term we were asked to support our children with their homework, but to make sure they were free to use their own creativity, and that we didn't help too much.

This weeks task is along the lines of "I can write about me". DD has said said that her teacher had a "big word" with the class to remind them that homework is their work, not mummy's, daddy's or anyone elses.

I appreciate that it is important that DD does this work her way. However, I'm not sure about whether to help her with her spelling for this task or not? I feel that if I correct her maybe I'm interfering too much. But if I don't correct her I've missed the opportunity help her learn.

WWYD?

MegMogAndOwl Fri 12-Oct-12 18:45:39

My ds is in year 1 and his teacher has 'suggested' we don't tell them how to spell words as they'd rather the children have a go themselves. At the moment if they write a word that's not spelt correctly but phonetically makes senses they'll mark it as right. Eg. Nite for knight

If ds asked me how to spell something I usually try to get him to do the beginning part but I might help with really tricky words like names of dinosaurs.

I get the impression can't fail to notice due to the loud parenting and homework waving about that goes on in the playground that some other parents help a lot more, either that or ds is in a class of geniuses! smile

littlemiss06 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:28:50

I support my little girl with her homework but I dont correct any of her spelling I just tell her to sound it out and write it as she thinks its spelt

wigglywoowoo Fri 12-Oct-12 20:44:25

I asked this question and was told not to correct or provide spellings and to tell dd to sound it out. The teacher says she knows when parents have helped, as it is obvious in the difference between thier school work and homework. DD's class have also had this lecture about parents not helping, but i do know some parents still provide a lot of help.

Teachers are happy if they are applying their phoinic knowledge in Y1.

Tgger Fri 12-Oct-12 21:59:15

hmmm, well I think due to the "big word" I would be inclined not to help unless directly asked by child in which case I would do the "well, what does it start with...", "and what's the next sound...... how do you write that?......" approach.

Looksgoodingravy Fri 12-Oct-12 22:50:39

Ds (Y1) hasn't had any spelling homework yet, he brings home a new reading book every night, had one maths piece to complete and we've had a project in which parents are supposed to help but no spelling homework and tbh I think he needs this more than anything confused. Going to ask at PE next week

PastSellByDate Sat 13-Oct-12 09:40:57

Hi owlelf

My suggestion is this. At first let your DD write as she sees fits - teachers are very good at decoding plausible attempts at spelling words.

However, if by spring, you see no improvement in spelling of frequently used words I'd start chosing battles.

So, for example. I started the attack with let's begin sentences with a capital letter. Once I'd won that skirmish, I then went for randomly adding 'h' to words beginning with 'w' - so whith, whent, etc... So we started to sort out which words were wh words and which weren't. Tricky - but after some work over two terms (end Y2 and begining Y3) we got there.

English is incredibly tricky - there are rules, but they are almost immediately broken. So patience, encouragement and mnemonics help. So there is a 'here' in there (the place), he and I in their (the pronoun) and they're is just they and are squished together. The 'here' trick also works for where.

HTH

Melmagpie Sat 13-Oct-12 13:55:41

I agree that at this stage it's about them learning to enjoy the process of writing and that too much help could knock their confidence - just let them get into the swing of enjoying hte work for now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now