Talk

Advanced search

Problems Getting 5 Year Old To Do Homework

(12 Posts)
xBeingTheBestMummyICanx Thu 11-Oct-12 20:44:41

I?m looking for some advice regarding DD who is 5 years old and started school in August. DD has settled into school really well and there are no concerns regarding her work or behaviour at school.

However, the problem DH and I are having is trying to get her to do her homework. She gets phonic sound cards and a story book once a week. We have to read the story and practice the sounds, which are no problem as she knows them all. She sometimes will say she does not need to do them as she knows them but will eventually do them. The real problem is two days a week she gets a phonic work sheet, which she has to colour in and then practice writing the letter. This is where we are really struggling to get her motivated to do it as she just does not seem interested and keeps saying I just want to play.

We have told her how important homework is, which she says she understands but even when she does sit down to do it she has a carry on, moves about, will not sit at peace and generally really seems to struggle to concentrate. A worksheet which should only take about 10-15 mins max tonight took over an hour. We seem to be getting into a really negative downward spiral with the homework and every time she has the work sheet it seems to be a battle.

I don?t understand why she is like this as she loves colouring in and before starting school she would happily copy things and write them down yet now seems to be struggling with it. We are having a few behavioural issues too, which we have put down to tiredness, change of routine etc but I'm now beginning to worry that there could be something else wrong.

pudding25 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:59:38

A timer and a sticker chart with a small reward if she does it.

PoppyScarer Thu 11-Oct-12 21:00:33

My DD is 4yo and I am also having a few issues, with tiredness but also homework.

I'm learning to strike whilst the iron is hot - do it immediately on getting home, on the day it comes home. By tea time or afterwards, she is too tired.

Weekends are the other window, but she is also tired then. My best success has been straight after getting home.

She also does an after-school class with a little homework from that, and the best thing there has been to do it straight away too.

PoppyScarer Thu 11-Oct-12 21:01:47

Like the timer idea!

Onlyaphase Thu 11-Oct-12 21:05:52

I had the same issue with DD and this term have cracked it. I picked the biggest thing she wanted (playdates) and told her that she needed to do her homework, reading etc each night or each week, and then she could have a playdate a week. It has worked, and now she is in the routine of doing homework etc it is so much easier than the constant chivvying and arguing over doing homework and reading each day.

mummyplonk Thu 11-Oct-12 21:17:09

I also found it really hard to find a good time to fit in the routine, I found mine just wanted to relax a bit once home, but too close to bedtime was impossible. What works for us now is after dinner, they do it before their pudding if they do well they can choose ice cream or similar. Umm as they so far have willingly done it well I haven't had to resort to tappioca pudding (a lot of people would not recommend food as a reward, but they don't know they would have had it anyway)

xBeingTheBestMummyICanx Sat 13-Oct-12 09:36:38

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think we will try the sticker chart and maybe a reward if she does it with no fuss. She is now on her October break so will try when she goes back.

ggirl Sat 13-Oct-12 09:42:11

I think homework at this age is ludicrous.

I would not make her do it , she's 5 yrs old !!!!!!!!!!!

DoubleDoubleTwigletTrouble Sat 13-Oct-12 10:35:12

I agree with ggirl, no way would I be doing homework with a 5yo. I'd read the book at the weekend but wouldn't be doing phonics sheets or anything like that at all. But then we spot sounds elsewhere (road signs etc.) so DS gets lots of phonics practise at home without realising it. It wouold be a different story in the juniors but at this age, I think if your DD doesn't want to do the homework then you shouldn't do it. You want to make learning a pleasure, not a chore.

littleducks Sat 13-Oct-12 10:59:24

I would stop doing the cards if she knows the sounds, perhaps practise phonics in a more natural settings like in signs as suggested. Maybe ask the teacher how long activity is supposed to take?

Homework is in fashion atm, dd was getting tons supposed to take two hours a week. I went to the teacher after a particularly bad experience and explained the short paragraph in dd's book had actually taken 20 minutes to write (after discussing and verbally planning with me as the sheet requested). He was shocked and this weeks homework looks far less time consuming.

shebird Sat 13-Oct-12 21:51:06

Id have a word with the teacher and say its all a bit much. Try and aim for maybe 10mins after school, perhaps reading a few pages each day to start with and then as she gets better maybe some writing and phonics. If she is really tired dont bother just read to her. I get my DDs to do any homework, reading etc. straight after school and snack. There's no tv, computer, play etc. until it gets done. It caused a few tears to start off with but now they realise it means the rest of the evening is free and I'm not nagging them so less stress all around.

PandaNot Sat 13-Oct-12 22:00:12

We've started doing our reading and homework before going to school, we aim to be dressed and ready for school by 830 and we do twenty minutes before going out the door (we live over the road from the school!). There have been no arguments this way and they're not tired so get it done in half the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now