Talk

Advanced search

Can't Spell/Won't Spell?

(10 Posts)
LaQueen Thu 11-Oct-12 18:17:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenofLouisiana Thu 11-Oct-12 18:23:09

Good readers can be poor spellers as they often don't have to look carefully at the words- they just "know" what the word says. If you have to sound out words over and over again you learn which letters are in it and may find spelling easier. I realize that it seems a bit odd, but I have met quite a few children over the years like that (and would be in that category myself!).

Bonsoir Thu 11-Oct-12 18:34:53

Hmm. I don't think I have any "good ideas" but I am facing something a little similar right now and have decided to employ a (highly recommended, expensive) tutor for weekly sessions and a massive bash during the two-week autumn half-term.

DD (nearly 8, Y4) speaks excellent English, has a wide and deep vocabulary and can read with ease, comfort and enjoyment. She can comfortably write 120-150 words at a sitting with reasonable spelling.

She in facgt goes to school principally in French. Her spoken French is "native speaker" though her vocabulary and expression are not as wide or deep as in English. She can read fluently in French. However, she has almost zero grasp of spelling in French and as for conjugation - she has learned the rules but is totally unable to apply them in free writing.

I put this down to her having had tutoring from age 4 in English to learn how to read and write, with rigorous decoding and encoding. The teaching of French she has received has been more haphazard, in a classroom context, and not über rigorous.

Maybe go back to basics with a spelling programme?

mrsbaffled Fri 12-Oct-12 12:31:34

If you are serious about a spelling programme, then you could try "Word Wasp". I am doing it with my dyslexic son (amazing reader, terrible speller) in yr 4. It teaches rules so you only need to learn 50 rules, say, rather than how to spell 5000 words.

coldcupoftea Fri 12-Oct-12 19:37:00

One thing that may help- try putting the subtitles on the tv when it is on?

Totally unscientific theory, but I grew up with deaf parents so the subtitles were always on. I always aced spelling tests!

MissAnnersley Fri 12-Oct-12 19:42:37

My DS is exactly the same. I'll have a look at 'word wasp', thanks.

CassandraApprentice Fri 12-Oct-12 21:50:46

I had high reading ages - but poor speller. There are issues with my reading - I skim - but spelling is the obvious area of struggle.

Another program I've used with my DD who looked to be following my pattern is Apple and Pears thing seem to have clicked with her now.

slipslider Sat 13-Oct-12 00:12:24

Identify the tricky part of the word so 'going' is the 'o'. Count the syllables and phonemes (sounds) g o i ng (4 sounds as ng is one). Identify the 'root' word so in this case 'go' and then use the spelling pattern of adding ing. If they identify the 'root' word this often helps.
You could use mnemonics where u think of rhymes or phrases to help you remember (Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants - because). Or handwriting using cursive script as the brain remembers the patterns and shapes for different words.

Chestnutx3 Sat 13-Oct-12 09:11:33

i've ordered word wasp as my yr1 DD is on lime but has poor spelling - but she spells words very phonetically but gets letters sometimes the wrong way round, or doesn't know whether there is an e at the end of down or not, or why full has two ll. Looking at apples & pears I don't think that highlights the problem but word wasps has rules which I didn't know about which may help her.

mrsbaffled Sat 13-Oct-12 21:31:25

Good luck (though Word Wasp is really for age 8+.....). My DS does it every day at school for about 10 minutes as part of his IEP. They are doing it well this year, but last year it was patchy. I did it with him myself over the summer and he's made a lot of improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now