Talk

Advanced search

Classroom Assistant Courses - Any good?

(6 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Thu 11-Oct-12 13:37:35

I am a SAHM at the moment but would like to eventually re-train as a teacher. I don't feel my dc's are old enough at the moment for me to give the commitment required to do a PGCE but I would like to consider being a classroom assistant for a few years. I've been looking at online "distance" learning courses.... something like this perhaps?

Has anyone done one? Are they useful? I do help out at DD's school a couple of mornings per week but can't really do more at the moment because I haven't got childcare for my younger DS.

Any advice/thoughts, welcomed smile

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 11-Oct-12 19:38:15

Bump for evening crowd smile

BetsyBoop Thu 11-Oct-12 21:21:56

The most widely recognised TA qualifications are QCF qualifications (These replaced the NVQs a year or so ago - the NVQs are still valid of course, but you can't do them any longer)

It isn't clear from a quick look at your link if that qualification is a QCF one (there are a number of qualifications around that aren't) so it would be worth checking that out.

BetsyBoop Thu 11-Oct-12 21:25:29

PS
I completed the L3 certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools in May of this year (distance learning through Study House), whilst volunteering at my children's school and now have a paid position in a (different) school. smile

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 11-Oct-12 21:39:14

Thank you smile

wineoclocktimeyet Fri 12-Oct-12 20:30:14

I'm 5 weeks into the same L3 certificate that BetsyBoop mentions. I studying it at my local FE college and my volunteer placement is in my son's school.
It is great, v interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now