Talk

Advanced search

RM Maths

(7 Posts)
mumwithtwokids Tue 09-Oct-12 16:56:47

Hi all,

My DS who is in year 2 has come home today and said that he was part of a small group of children in his class who were called to do rm maths. I've never heard of this so guessing this means that he may be struggling at maths but this has not yet been communicated to us. I'm a bit worried and will see if I can have a quick chat with his teacher tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone here is more familiar with the above and could shed some light?

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 09-Oct-12 17:03:25

At my DS's school very child does RM maths from Reception to Year 6. He goes in small groups with his classmates. Each child works alone on a computer. The program can be repeated over and over again and gives a score at the end of the session. The program is tailored to age and ability.

DS loves it. From the way he describes it it seems to be very visual and much more "exciting" than seeing the same problem written in black and white on a page.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 09-Oct-12 17:04:47

Sorry, that should say every child not "very child" blush

goinnowhere Tue 09-Oct-12 17:06:30

Agree, this is used widely with pupils of all ages and abilities. Just ask though, it'll be fine.

mumwithtwokids Tue 09-Oct-12 17:09:35

Hi TheWoollybacksWife - thanks so much for your reply.

My DS loved it too and I did wonder if it's something everyone in the class has to do but he wasn't able to shed any light which got me worried confused

EBDTeacher Tue 09-Oct-12 17:18:47

We use it for every child too. It very cleverly pitches itself at their ability. It is a great programme. I wouldn't be surprised if all the children in your DS's school do it, but can only go in groups that will fit in the computer suite.

groovejet Wed 10-Oct-12 16:12:43

dd1 used this in Y2, but it was used for those in the bottom group for numeracy.

She loved it, helped her improve and increased her confidence and is now a group higher in numeracy, which considering how difficult she did find numeracy is fantastic. We were so impressed with how much she was getting out of it we purchased the cd rom for her to use at home now that she is no longer doing it in class to help her maintain her level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now