Talk

Advanced search

Primary visit - questions to ask...

(3 Posts)
shirleycat1 Tue 09-Oct-12 13:48:40

DS will be starting reception in September and I've arranged to go and look around a couple of local schools in the next few weeks. Apart from getting a general feel for the school can anyone advise me on questions that I might want to ask.

There was a really good thread on this a few months ago and I can't find it so if you were involved in that, a link would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

curiousparent Wed 10-Oct-12 07:59:56

sorry I wasn't on previous thread so can't link but a few thoughts that may help....

When we were looking around schools this time last year we found that the most helpful schools told you so much that there was little need to ask questions. They told us for example how they grouped children and regularly assessed them to ensure that they were being taught within a group appropriate to their needs and what they do for those with extra needs. They told us how they ensured that all children were included and had friends - buddy bus stops etc seemed popular. They show you where children play, where they eat and what their day at the school would be like.

Displays of work were nice as it showed that the school was proud of what it children did.

Whether the head teacher makes time to speak with you and whether they are interested in answering any queries in future and their general 'approachability'.

Also consider whether the school is over subscribed and whether you will be likely to be successful in an application.

Some say the results are important but that is a personal choice - I think what each school can do for your child and how happy the children look to be there is far more important.

Good luck!

shirleycat1 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:49:54

Thanks curious, I just found another thread as well so will be armed with questions now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now