Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on asking a school to reassess my daughter with glue ear pls!

(5 Posts)
moosesue Mon 08-Oct-12 15:42:53

My daughter sat an assessment last week for a local private and very competitive school. Unfortunately 3 days before the assessment she had a grommet operation for glue ear.
I'm just starting this week to get my little girl back and the difference in understanding and speech is notable.
Should I ask the school to reassess her if possible? They know about the glue ear already but I don't want them to sell her short. I'm a bit wary of looking like a flapper though so I'm not sure I shouldn't leave it be. But, once they've decided which children are in it's a bit late to mention the big difference?
Does anyone have experience of this sort of scenario or school assessments and know how such a request might be received?

merrymonsters Mon 08-Oct-12 16:17:10

I'd ask. I don't know if the grommet operation is under a GA, but that makes you groggy for days afterwards.

I think if she doesn't get in, you'll regret not saying something about it.

moosesue Mon 08-Oct-12 16:38:06

Hi merrymonsters. Thanks for the reply. Yes it is under a GA. I'm thinking it might be worth hand delivering a letter. Always easier to get your point across in writing! Still not sure though as they knew she had glue ear but the timing of it all is so unfortunate.

goinggetstough Mon 08-Oct-12 17:13:30

Hi
I too would mention it to the prospective new school. My DCs have had a number of operations for grommets and the difference in their speech etc was amazing afterwards.
I would say to the school that you have been amazed at the difference now she can hear and didn't think to mention it to them before as you hadn't realised the full effect of the glue ear on your DD.......

Ladymuck Mon 08-Oct-12 20:17:41

I'd phone rather than send in letter personally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now