Talk

Advanced search

Flat Stanley books - appropriate for child reading purple/gold level?

(16 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Sun 07-Oct-12 19:49:02

As the title says really.

My youngest son is a keen reader and is currently reading purple and gold level books without much help, he has a good understanding of what he reads too - he can answer questions, make sensible predictions and reads with great expression making the books sound exciting where appropriate etc. He's keen to try reading some chapter books and likes the sound of Flat Stanley. Are they likely to be too hard for him? I don't want to put him off by giving him books that are too hard for him but he's keen to try books with chapters.

TunipTheVegemal Sun 07-Oct-12 19:52:15

I think it's about right.
In any case it's so funny it should motivate him through the hard bits.

Rosebud05 Sun 07-Oct-12 19:58:42

Are the Flat Stanley books very 'boyish' or are they a bit more gender neutral?

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Oct-12 20:00:18

I haven't read them but DS2 devoured the series and loved them. He is ten now and still goes back to them occassionally.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:00:48

Excellent, thanks Tunip smile

expansivegirth Sun 07-Oct-12 20:01:00

my girls reads flat stanley. i read flat stanley. i'm a female. (purple level).

TunipTheVegemal Sun 07-Oct-12 20:01:58

The main characters are boys but the stories are about family life rather than anything boy-specific. Anyway the stories are so good they appeal to girls too. I like the way they're so good on sibling relationships - the younger brother is jealous of Stanley getting all the attention when he's flat, but he's the one who figures out a way to solve the proble. Very touching smile

TunipTheVegemal Sun 07-Oct-12 20:02:36

problem

Rosebud05 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:28:43

Thanks - that's really helpful. DD likes stories about people, so I shall investigate - they sound good.

numbum Sun 07-Oct-12 21:36:45

rosebud My DD hated Flat Stanley but loved the Happy Families series

Rosebud05 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:40:59

Ah. We've done and still doing Happy Family books.

Also all love the Gaskitt Family series by Allan Ahlberg.

numbum Sun 07-Oct-12 21:42:46

I've bought her the Gaskitt Family for Christmas grin

Tgger Sun 07-Oct-12 21:56:10

Yes, we have one, the Firefighter one I think that says "gold band" on the back- that's a colour one in the blue bananas series. DS first read it a while back, but I found him reading it tonight and think I might get the others for him. I think some are a bit harder, or was it because they were in black and white I didn't get them before!- DS was very attached to colour at that point grin.

simpson Sun 07-Oct-12 23:07:27

You can also try the silly stories series of books they are fab and the Frog and Toad books....

My DD is desperate to read Flat Stanley but she is only 4 so is some way off, but her brother raved about them so much she talks about them all the time!!

There is a green bananas series of books and they do a more basic Flat Stanley which my DD has read and she did love that one...

Wobblypig Mon 08-Oct-12 07:36:36

The only thing I would say about FLat STanley is that they use a lot of colloquial language and American phraseology so even if Dc is a good reader , my Ds was gold when he started reading them, some of its needs explaining.

Fuzzymum1 Mon 08-Oct-12 09:15:56

That's useful to know Wobbly, I will make sure to explan that some of the words might be unfamiliar - he's quite happy to ask about words he doesn't know or understand so I will talk a bit about colloquialisms before he starts. I have ordered the flat stanley collection from Amazon and will give him the first one to see how he gets on, if he likes them the others can go in his stocking :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now