Talk

Advanced search

How often do children read with teacher in year 2?

(11 Posts)
ElinElin Sat 06-Oct-12 09:24:00

Books dd getting home are very easy for her . I know it's not just about reading the words it's about understanding the story looking at language used etc. I said to the teacher that the books she gets home are quite easy and can she let me know next time she reads with her if she is ready to move to next level. How often do they read with the teacher in yr2 and how long shall I wait before I ask if she has read with her?

Euphemia Sat 06-Oct-12 09:50:59

I teach P2 and I hear them read twice a week. They get two books home per week.

I'd love to hear them daily, as many of them don't read at home, but I have no classroom assistant help so I just can't fit it in.

mrz Sat 06-Oct-12 09:57:02

I try to hear children 1-1 whenever they return their reading book (so for some children that's 5 times a week) I also hear them reading daily in phonics lessons and weekly class reading (although this will increase over the year)

JamInMyWellies Sat 06-Oct-12 10:04:29

Euphemia twice a week with no classroom assistant! I would love that for DS1 who is in yr 1 in a tiny village school with classroom assistants and parent helpers. I am lucky if he gets a couple of pages a wk. I read with him every night, he has been repeating books he read in reception am vv angry about it but have been fobbed off by teacher.

Sorry OP bit of a rant there.

StripyShoes Sat 06-Oct-12 10:06:01

Ds has not been listened to all term. angry

ElinElin Sat 06-Oct-12 10:18:21

Wow that sounds good. I think since start of term my dd has only read to teacher twice one to one. They do guided reading every week though. They are meant to change books 3 times per week but the last 3 weeks it has only been changed twice a week. I asked the teacher last Monday . If she still hasn't read with dd by Tuesday shall I check with her when she will read with her and if she thinks she is ready for something more challenging. Or shall I leave it longer ? I don't want to be a pain but at the same time I want my daughter to progress at right level.

ElinElin Sat 06-Oct-12 10:22:23

I meant it sounds good that they read twice a week. Was responding to first two replies not you guys who's dc have not read. That is obviously not good. Wonder why it's so different in different schools?

ganglygiraffe Sat 06-Oct-12 10:26:36

How do you manage that much 1-1 Mrz?

I manage once a week between me and a TA, so hear them all personally once every other week. That includes hearing readers at lunchtime and I still only just about manage half the class if it's a busy week. Would love to get through more.

UniS Sun 07-Oct-12 19:13:52

Ds is reading to a TA about once a week. BUT he is free reader, they may be more proactive with weaker readers.

mrz Sun 07-Oct-12 19:29:03

Before school and at lunch break ganglygiraffe and as I said only those who actually have their book in school.

mrz Sun 07-Oct-12 19:30:27

and only a few pages not whole books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now