Talk

Advanced search

Brand new PE Kit gone missing - never used!

(9 Posts)
Mumtoprem Sat 06-Oct-12 08:19:47

DD1 started YR in September and we took her PE kit in and put it on her peg. This week we discovered the PE kit in and PE bag have all gone missing. I informed the teacher on Friday and she said she was going to look for it next week. I am not very happy as the PE kit cost about £30.00.

Is this typical of school and how would you handle it?

I am thinking of telling the school I am not going to purchase another PE kit until after half term in case her original one turns up. As yet they have never even used their PE kits but I can send her in with shorts and t-shirt if required. Also wondering if to just send her in with PE kit on the day she does PE to stop it going missing again.

What would you do?

Thanks
Michelle

NB Daughter has special needs and language delay so she has been trying to tell me all week that her PE kit is missing.

mrz Sat 06-Oct-12 08:32:14

£30 for a reception child's PE kit! shock

It will quite likely turn up on another child's peg. Things fall on the fall and moved or sometimes a small child will just take a fancy to the bag. If it's labelled the teacher will probably find it fairly quickly.

As a reception teacher I was once accused of "stealing" a child's PE kit hmm it turned up weeks later at his granny's house.

insanityscratching Sat 06-Oct-12 10:29:55

Do they have to have logo'ed PE kit? If not I'd pop in plimsolls (£2 from Wynsors) and old t shirt and shorts from the summer as kit in a homemade drawstring bag. Dd who generally loses anything not attached to her has managed not to lose any kit at all probably because everyone knows the dolphin bag and particular shorts and T shirt (labelled) is hers.

mosschops30 Sat 06-Oct-12 10:37:30

I only send PE kit on the days ds1 has PE.
Last term he had a brand new coat stolen, it was distinctive and he loved it. I was furious, because someone knowingly took it.
The school put a note in the newsletter but it was never returned.
This is from a middle class catholic school!

Pancakeflipper Sat 06-Oct-12 10:39:25

Have you searched the classroom ( you not the teacher)? If not do. it is amazing where these PE kits turn up.

My son's KIT tends to turn up in other peoples bags - I am sure they think we do it on purpose so they launder it.

MaggieW Sat 06-Oct-12 14:41:36

Worth going in and having a good look in the cloakrooms. We've "lost" countless PE kits over the years and they've always turned up in someone else's bag, on someone elses peg, on the floor, in another cloakroom, or in the lost property box. Labelled stuff generally finds its way back, eventually.

Euphemia Sat 06-Oct-12 18:34:32

£30 for PE kit? shock

Toughasoldboots Sat 06-Oct-12 19:03:11

Your poor dd, does she have senco at school to help her communicate this sort of thing and keep an eye out?

I can well understand a PE kit costing that much if it is school branded and includes trainers/tracksuit.

We are having a similar problem at dd2's school and it turns out that a particular girl was taking things and stuffing them down the back of radiators.

Can you go in and have a good look around the cloakrooms?

auntevil Sat 06-Oct-12 21:10:20

Similar problem, but DS in Y5.
I have sent him with a T shirt from home, but was told via DS that this was not acceptable. I am waiting for the phone call/letter to advise me to 'sort it'.
3 children, so far 14 years of school between them, and to date I must have clothed several children for their entire school year with all the bits of labelled clothing that never makes it home after PE.
OP, it may be lurking in school (do they have a lost property area - often the office), but I know some have made it to other children's homes and just disappeared to come back in a new guise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now