Talk

Advanced search

Extension Classes

(4 Posts)
sony767 Sat 06-Oct-12 00:07:11

My ds was in extension class in yr 4 and was not chosen to continue in yr 5, his end of year results was 4a. Now he tells me that the work he is doing (in the top set) is too easy a d he doesn't find it challenging. He is able to understand his.brothers Maths work which is at yr 8 level. I'm not trying to be boastful of my child and if he was not able to do the extension work or not at that high level then I would understand. I spoke with the co-ordinatior for the classes and she was not helpful and told me that there were children with a level 5. At the end of year 4, isnt that exceptional. I have my doubts about that. She tells me that they are assessed every half term, but it always seems that it is the same children who get chosen to the program. Should I just continue and have him do extra work at home. A friend who is a teacher told me that he is more than able to do the level 6 test at end of year 6, but I'm afraid that the school will not see his potential. What to do?

GrimAndHumourless Sat 06-Oct-12 00:31:42

level 5 at end of yr 4 is exceptional, not sure why you think it's not; perhaps I've misunderstood

is he demonstrating knowledge, applying it in class?

you have spoken to the co ordinator, what does the class teacher say?

why do you want your kid to do level 6?

sony767 Sat 06-Oct-12 00:47:29

Sorry, I meant that it is exceptional, Everyone in the extra classes are at the same level as my ds. I am not really fussed about him doing a level 6 test, it's just that he has the capability to do it. His class teacher said she is not involved in choosing the kids, though she does say he is very quick with his answers and picks up new skills easily. I just don't want him to become bored with his lessons.

richmal Sat 06-Oct-12 08:04:17

My dd got level 5 at the end of year 4 mainly because she loves doing maths and had done the work at home. So I would say, if he is interested in maths then work through some key stage books at home. Also the nrich website is useful for getting children thinking.
There is no extension class in dd school. When I asked about dd finding the work easy I was given the impression she was not top in the class and was finding the work challenging compared with many of the others. So I'm not so sure about level 5 being exceptional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now