Talk

Advanced search

Reading Advice - 4 year old

(14 Posts)
wandymum Fri 05-Oct-12 20:33:15

Thanks to his fantastic preschool, my 4 year old is able to read pretty well.

He's just started reception and they are still in the process of working out what level the kids are all at and focusing on teaching the basic phonic sounds for those who don't know them yet.

However, he is pretty keen to read himself and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good series of books or a website with good advice for parents on early reading.

I'm clueless on the whole phonics system and book banding but to give you some idea of the level his current favourite book is Flat Stanley which he is able to read pretty much unaided.

I don't want to be a pushy parent (and he is frankly atrocious at writing so by no means a genius) but am keen to keep his interest in reading up while the school gets on top of who can do what.

Thanks!

lljkk Fri 05-Oct-12 20:37:59

I would ask what system your school is using & if there are any support materials they recommend.

Tgger Fri 05-Oct-12 20:38:58

Try this www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Library/Index/?AgeGroup=5

You can change the level if those are too easy/hard

Also have a look at www.readingchest.co.uk/home- lots of info- expensive to join and tbh your DS can probably access library books if he is reading Flat Stanley but it will give you ideas on levels

If you can find books his level in the local library that will save you lots of money! Have you tried that?

Tgger Fri 05-Oct-12 20:41:20

Oh yes, the blue bananas are really good for this level, DS read lots of those in Reception. It can be tricky to find books that suit the level of reading but aren't too old in terms of life experience/comprehension but the Blue Bananas series went down very well- eg Little Dog and Big Dog.

Good luck and enjoy!

spudmasher Fri 05-Oct-12 20:45:48

He's reading Flat Stanley all by himself? Wow! Then he's got to phonics phase 6 and can read pretty much anything. He'll only need phonics for spelling then.

wandymum Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:34

Thanks all.

tgger willl give the Oxford owl ones a try. Looks like they have lots of 'boyish' ones too which should appeal to him. Will also look into Blue Bananas.

Whenever we go to the library he goies straight for the non-fiction section as he is obsessed with things like space and how things work so am keen to get him more into actual stories. Or he chooses anything with a rude word in the title!

It's really helpful to have some suggestions of books aimed at around the right age level as I am a complete numpty about all of this.

ErmahgerdPerngwens Fri 05-Oct-12 21:01:04

Our school is working out a reading scheme from year 1 books for my DS (who is also not a brilliant writer), any chance your school would do similar?

simpson Fri 05-Oct-12 21:01:26

It's worth checking out the frog and toad books too (you can buy them in a set of 3 or 4 I forget blush on amazon).

They are fab!!!

wandymum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:05:04

Spudmasher he seems to have somehow learnt to read all by himself. We had no idea until his preschool started giving them reading books and he came home with one with great long sentences in it. I am embarassingly clueless about the whole thing.

When did "Roger Red Hat", "Billy Blue Hat" and "Johnny Yellow Hat" stop being the norm until primary school grin?

wandymum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:07:00

ErmahgerdPerngwens have so far been too shy to ask for fear of seeming pushy

spudmasher Fri 05-Oct-12 21:14:14

Wandy that's great he has learned to read through just loving books and being read to. My DDs did the same. So much enjoyment and fun!!! He'll love some of the easier Roald Dahl, Jill Tomlinson, anything non fiction that takes his fancy....that may be when he'll need the phonics- to decode unfamiliar words and He'll need to segment for spelling, hear the sounds and know which letters to use to make the sounds, then write them, so there's still fun to be had in that learning.

ErmahgerdPerngwens Fri 05-Oct-12 21:15:04

Ds only had his reading assessment today and I think they've not done all the class yet, so you may find your school sort something out over the next few weeks. I'd imagine it will be a little while before DS is actually given any Y1 books, but I can let you know what they are once we have them, so you can look them up at the library.

If he likes factual/ space books I'd let him carry on choosing those, even if you have to help with difficult words, making sure he's interested in what he's reading will probably be the best way to encourage him.

wandymum Fri 05-Oct-12 21:18:10

Oh yes Roald Dahl - he'll adore the naughtiness. Had forgotten that he'd written some shorter/simpler ones.

simpson Fri 05-Oct-12 21:36:17

If he likes books about space, there is a fab book (usborne beginners) called living in space.

Also Dick King Smith (DS's fav at this stage was "Connie and Rollo"

The seriously silly stories are v good: The Rather Small Turnip, Snow White & the 7 Aliens, Eco Wolf and the 3 pigs, Little Red Riding Wolf...

And it is worth checking out the Happy Families books: Mr Creep the Crook etc etc (there are loads of them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now