Talk

Advanced search

Please explain how waiting lists work

(4 Posts)
sanserif Thu 04-Oct-12 22:43:29

So if I apply to 6 schools using the common application and get, say, the 6th school, am I automatically placed on the waiting list for the five above it or do I need to actively do something to place my DS on the waiting lists?

And if I don't get any of the 6 schools, does the same rule apply?

prh47bridge Thu 04-Oct-12 23:22:09

In theory you should automatically go on the waiting lists for all the schools that are higher preferences than the one you are offered. So yes, if you don't get any of the schools you should go on the waiting list for all of them.

Having said that, some LAs don't seem to get this right so, once you've got your offer, it is worth checking with them that you are on the correct waiting lists.

sanserif Fri 05-Oct-12 14:45:07

OK, good to know, thanks.

admission Fri 05-Oct-12 16:55:30

Just to reiterate what PRH has said, it might or might not say in the blurb on admissions from the LA that you will go on the waiting list but given that there is potential movement of the waiting list from about 2 weeks after the initial allocation, you do need to check that your name is on the list. If your name is not on the list you could well miss out on that place that you wanted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now