Talk

Advanced search

How often does your y2 child read with a teacher/TA?

(15 Posts)
LiegeAndLief Wed 03-Oct-12 19:43:03

Ds started Y2 in Sept and as far as I am aware has read with the teacher once. In five weeks. If he has read with anyone else they haven't written in his book and he doesn't remember it. He didn't read very often with the teacher in Y1 either but read at least once a week with a parent helper, and if I had written anything of note in his book or the parent helper had any comments etc the teacher would always respond. I am still writing in it regularly but feel like I am talking to myself!

He is pretty good at reading for his age, on the white band, so I am wondering whether it isn't so necessary for the teacher to hear him read any more or maybe they just don't do it so much in Y2? One of my friends with a ds in the same class mentioned the other day that her ds had read with the teacher/TA a lot recently and I have parents evening next week, so I'm wondering whether to mention it or whether it's a silly thing to be worried about when he is doing well and reading regularly at home.

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 03-Oct-12 19:45:24

Definitely once they aim for twice.

lme30005 Wed 03-Oct-12 21:16:17

My situation with my DS is similar, he has read once with his teacher in 4 weeks and also on white band. Was also thinking about mentioning it at parents evening. They may need less help now but still need their progress monitoring like all the children. Their school say they should be reading at least one a week, either in a group or individual and he hasn't had that

theotherboleyngirl Wed 03-Oct-12 21:22:49

same with DS - once to teacher and once to parent helper in 5 weeks. But again DS is a very able reading and the teachers know he's heard at home so thinking maybe that is why?

crazygracieuk Wed 03-Oct-12 21:25:32

My son is green band and has been heard 4 times plus he has weekly guided reading where an adult listens to him read and answer comprehension questions.

lme30005 Wed 03-Oct-12 21:31:25

I know it sounds a bit harsh, but maybe in year 2 they focus more on the ones in the middle and bottom that need help so they can get their SATs results up? I don't think they're published but they must have some impact

LiegeAndLief Wed 03-Oct-12 21:32:41

Pleased (in a way?!) to hear this doesn't sound unusual. I'm not sure whether the fact that he is quite a good reader means that he really doesn't need to be heard as often, or whether it would still be beneficial but the teacher prefers to (understandably - but frustratingly when I'm feeling a bit PFB!) concentrate on the children who are struggling more.

LiegeAndLief Wed 03-Oct-12 21:41:07

lme I was thinking something similar! Although I did notice that ds got heard less and less in Y1 as he progressed. He started Y1 barely able to read, on ORT level 1 (can't remember what colour that was), and was heard by the TA about once a week. After a couple of levels he was heard by the teacher regularly, then after another couple of levels by parent helpers.

The other teacher used to write in his book when he did guided reading but maybe this one doesn't and he has done loads of that <hopeful>

lme30005 Wed 03-Oct-12 22:01:07

It is a bit frustrating as its only fair that every child should be able to reach their potential, whatever that may be, and not left when they reach a certain level. I know of other children on lower book bands that have read more than my DS
Maybe a question to ask his teacher at parents evening, although I'm sure I will get a woolly answer!

steppemum Wed 03-Oct-12 22:19:03

from my experience there are 2 types of reading. their book bag book, whihc gets written in. if this is done every night by parent then I think it doesn't seem to be that they get listened to on these books at school.

then there is guided reading, which should be every week, where teacher hears a group read and discuss a book. The teacher therefore hears them every weke but it doesn't get written in book.

The proble with this is that kids like dd1 get miss assessed. She read slowly and paused as she thought about story, she is quiet and didn't perform well in the group. She was therefore assumed to be on a much, much lower level than she was. She was actually quite able to read and understand books at a much harder level, and I had to really push to get her put up a level, or three

alcofrolic Wed 03-Oct-12 22:22:40

My ds reads once or twice a week with the teacher or TA in a reading group. He also reads once or twice a week with Y6 buddies. He also does phonics 4 times a week.

lme30005 Wed 03-Oct-12 22:26:22

The reading with the teacher individually or a group read always gets written in their reading diary. We also know if they've read with a parent helper as their books are stamped to say they have. Hopefully as parent helpers come in to do more reading, there will be more time for the teacher to read with my DS!

headinhands Wed 03-Oct-12 22:32:31

I wouldn't worry too much about your child being a stronger reader than you think the school are aware of. So long as your dc has access to a wide range of reading material at home it wouldn't matter. Furthermore the class will be stocked with story books the children have ample
access to as well.

What I have seen time and again is children who have a strong reading age but a weaker comprehension age. Problem with that is that parents send them in with books they can 'read' but not enjoy due to having little clue about the story. It's like they are reading a list of disconnected words. sad

LiegeAndLief Wed 03-Oct-12 22:45:54

headinhands, that is definitely the case with my ds. I am aware of this and often ask him questions about what we are reading to check he has understood, explain turns of phrase etc. Actually I think he is on the right reading band, if anything a little high for the comprehension side of it but he understands most of what he comes home with.

Bizarrely, he can often understand a story that I have read to him that he didn't understand when reading it himself. I guess he is using so much brain power to read the words he doesn't have any left over to understand what they mean!

steppemum Wed 03-Oct-12 22:49:24

the group and parent helper doesn't go in reading books here, which is why I mentioned it. They were reading to teacher every week in group reading.

Headinhands, dd's comprehension wasn't the issue. She had a (simple) chapter book with few pictures at home, that I had never read out loud. One day she asked me to read it, but start at chapter 4. When I asked about other chapters she said 'Oh I have read them to myself. She then proceded to tell me all about the story, the characters and what she thought happened next. I then ''tested'' her on lots of other books, and discovered she really was way ahead.

At the time she was on Oxford Reading Tree at school, about level 4, with about 3 lines of big tyoe on a page. For months i had been writing that she could read the book first time with no new words and good comprehension. I just hadn't realised how far ahead she was. Went in to talk to teacher (I am a teacher too) and said I had discovered this my accident and look at what she can read. She looked at book and said surely she can't read all this, what about words like this (can't remember the word, something like 'felt') yes I said - easily. She didn't believe me. dd was vastly underacheiving right across the board, writing story books at home, complete with chapters, structured stories etc. At school, writing 2 short sentences in large baby writing. That was a while ago. We have since moved, new school, she has come out as gifted and talented across the board and is much happier too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now