Talk

Advanced search

Reading prior to 4+....mrz/genie/anyone?

(13 Posts)
Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 16:05:04

Hi
My ds2 was 4 last week.
He starts 4+ next August.
He is really interested in letters/numbers etc and he watches a lot of Alphablocks and numtums on cbeebies, in fact he loves them so much I got him a couple of the books.
He can read -I.e. sound out - a few of the cvc words like sit, mat, pan etc.
He knows all of his letter sounds and can count past 20.
I dont think he is g&t or anything smile but am a bit clueless as to what to do with Him now...my eldest boy is in y5 and dyslexic so never went through this developmental stage with him iyswim?
I read somewhere that teachers dont like kids to be able to read already when they start 4+? Is at right?
I am using an SP method and I can't see how it is any different from jolly phonics which I know 4+ use..the first sounds are satpin like JP...
Any tips/advice?
I would like him to enjoy books like I do - and like ds1 is finally beginning to! smile

Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 16:05:33

Argh! The pop should read mrz/feenie/anyone?
Bloody autocorrect!

Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 17:13:57

...oh and he can write some letters and numbers too.
He can write his name if I trace it for him.

simpson Wed 03-Oct-12 17:33:49

I recommend the songbirds pack of books, I think the first one is Top Cat IIRC.

They are fab and all phonetic, my DD loved them...

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Wed 03-Oct-12 18:12:04

the book people have a set of traditional tales that are phonic based too.

what else do you do?

well, you keep reading to him and talking about the stories and what he likes or doesn't like about them.
lots of colouring, playing with chalks etc. mrz has posted a long list of things to do... find that... somewhere

practising writing his name is really useful.

lots of talking about numbers, shapes and size words.

Kingcyrolophosarus Wed 03-Oct-12 19:10:55

Try reading eggs
Teach my monster to talk
Cbbc letters and sounds phonics

Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 19:11:43

Thank you.
He uses hairy letters and tommy number time on the iPad.
He is scarily efficient on it actually!

Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 19:12:19

I have for the songbird books I think..will root them out.

simpson Wed 03-Oct-12 20:58:40

Alphablocks programme is fab on cbeebies and the Oxford owl website might be worth looking at...

mrz Wed 03-Oct-12 21:08:53

You need to follow his lead at this age. If he's interested then go with it and if he's not in the mood then don't worry.
There are free phonics e books on MN Learning and more at Oxford Owl.
If you are teaching him sounds it's important you get them right (pure sounds with no extra uk at the end).
I would encourage him to learn how to form the letters of his name without tracing (this becomes a drawing exercise rather than writing if you aren't watching like a hawk- good for fine motor/pencil control but not teaching the skill you intended)

Badvoc Wed 03-Oct-12 21:34:12

Hi mrz..he didn't trace them, I sounded out the letter is ds and he wrote them!
smile
I will check out the books in MN, thanks.

AbbyR1973 Thu 04-Oct-12 00:07:17

Hi,
My DS1 has just started year R and sounds a bit similar. He had always been interested in books/ letters/ sounds. About 18 months ago he started reading. Nursery were very against him learning to read "the schools won't like it" , "he'll be bored in reception" etc etc. On the other hand I didn't see how I could hold him back short of removing all books from his reach. He was just ready to get on with things.
When I was looking around schools I asked about the nursery opinion and without fail all the teachers I spoke to did not think he should be held back.
I now have a little boy that thinks school is brilliant, is very far from being bored because he is given so many interesting things to do in reception. His teacher picked up very quickly where he is at with reading/ number work etc and has been fantastic with him, making sure he is appropriately challenged and has also picked up on any little gaps he needs to work on. He is bringing home ORT stage 4 at the moment which is a bit more simple than he reads at home but he is working on expression and fluency. He is absolutely thriving and it
is a delight to see.

Badvoc Thu 04-Oct-12 07:07:37

That's great Abby.
I start helping out in 4+ next week so I might ask the teacher what I should do?
Would that be a good idea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now