Talk

Advanced search

Parents- what do you want to know at your child's KS2 parent half term meeting?

(6 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Wed 03-Oct-12 12:26:04

I have always done lengthy reports for these but tbh I feel like many parents aren't really that interested if their child knows an adverb from an adjective! I'm worried that I bore parents with too much detail. We aren't given an overview of what to cover at our meetings if more a case of talk about what is important.

Just a quick question, from a parent's point of view, what do you want to know about at these half term meetings? I'm worried I'm going to sound incompetent by asking this! Obviously I have a detailed knowledge of the curriculum and what a child should be able to do, but is there anything your child's teacher doesn't talk about that you wish they would?

Maybe I should just keep going with the detail? confused

redskyatnight Wed 03-Oct-12 14:23:24

I quite like hearing the detail but if it's too much I stop listening.

What I am most interested in is how much child compares with others in his age range (is he broadly average, ahead of average, slightly behind ...), any particular areas of concern, any things he is very good at and how I can support him at home. I'm not that interested in whether he knows an adverb from an adjective as I don't know whether a child of his age should know this.

One teacher DS had used to start her meetings off by asking if we had any burning questions - which I think was quite good as sometimes you run out of time and don't get to ask the one thing that was really bothering you.

posadas Wed 03-Oct-12 14:29:21

i have a reasonably good idea of how my son is learning just by observing his homework (thankfully he doesn't have much homework but enough so I can see whether he's having any trouble). What I don't know is what he's like in the classroom and the playground -- does he participate or is he withdrawn? does he get on with the other children? does he seem happy? what classes seem to engage his interest? does he seem confident? what does he do during free time?

Fuzzymum1 Fri 05-Oct-12 11:57:26

I would want to know that they were achieving their own potential (i don't really mind where they are in the class just that they are doing well for them personally), what they are particular good at and what needs more work and I can help with at home.

scootle Fri 05-Oct-12 12:08:36

My dd's v academic, and I want to know straight away that dd's teacher has 'got' her - that she knows what she is good at - and also what she is exceptional at - and what she is less confident about (even if she is still above average).

I really want to know how the teacher is going to keep her moving forward (esp in the subjects she is g&t in) and how she is going to push her a bit harder on maths - which comes less naturally.

I also want to know how her friendships look from the teacher's pov. Normally this is one of the big issues for me - but all going v well so far this term.

I also love it when teachers speak warmly about my dd, and make it clear that they like her!

scootle Fri 05-Oct-12 12:09:14

yes, and definitely what I can do at home. I kind of already know but when a teacher asks me to do something, it really focuses my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now