Talk

Advanced search

Reading in reception

(9 Posts)
GreenPeas Tue 02-Oct-12 23:05:45

My DS started reception this term in the same school as his sister. He's an early reader - comfortable with the ORT read at home books, can read basic chapter books with some help etc. So I knew that this first term might be a little odd for him but I wasnt expecting his teacher to ask, as she did today, if we could provide some books from home for him to read in class... I need to have a proper meeting with her to discuss this but I'm a bit surprised that they don't have a better strategy to deal with children coming in to the classroom able to read.
I'm not sure how to approach this... Is it a non-issue?

NigellaTufnel Tue 02-Oct-12 23:11:01

No, it's a sock puppet

TodaysAGoodDay Tue 02-Oct-12 23:13:18

Surely they could just use the books they have there? If he can read Stage 1,2 or 3, perhaps they should try Stage 4 or even 5? I'm sure they have plenty of books at these Stages, more than enough for him to have some. I have been told to read 'home' books with DS (5 in YR1) but nobody has suggested he brings them into school. Please check this with the teacher if you are concerned.

GreenPeas Tue 02-Oct-12 23:13:23

Ha ha. Thanks.

GreenPeas Tue 02-Oct-12 23:18:14

It does seem bizarre, hence the odd question. I don't know why they don't just go to year 1 and grab some for him. I suppose I'm a bit baffled that they haven't come across this before and don't have a strategy. He's bright but not unusually so.

Might just wait and see what they say...

arkestra Tue 02-Oct-12 23:23:30

Don't know why they can't grab books from other years for him - why do you need to bring them in yourself? I was an early reader, as is my older DD. And at school reception etc I just read books from other classrooms - and that's what DD is doing too. Should be simple enough.

The school can assess your DS's reading level (every school should have someone skilled at this) and then surely they will have books at the right level somewhere?

If/when your DS gets to the point where he's read all the books in school, then you may as well bring your own. But you should have plenty of time before reaching that stage.

So I guess I'd have that meeting and suggest they assess his reading level and then let him books from elsewhere in the school as appropriate. Hardly the end of the world if you are supplying books yourself but think surely the school can do a little better than that?

simpson Tue 02-Oct-12 23:28:51

DD has started reception and can read pretty well (basic chapter books etc).

They have no problem finding books for her (even if they are a bit dull).

She is currently on the last yellow book and will go up to blue on the next one (HT says they must read all the books on the scheme - but luckily she read some in nursery).

I would find it most odd if they cannot provide books at this level tbh...

DS is in yr3 and he does not read school reading books, I provide them (with agreement from the teacher) but he is much older obv.

purplehouse Tue 02-Oct-12 23:36:10

That sounds very odd. The school obviously does have appropriate books, it doesn't matter which classroom they come from. I would ask them to assess his Ort level and send home books from that stage from another classroom.

My dd has also just started reception and can read yellow Ort level 3 books easily. However all children have to start with picture books so she isn't allowed a book with words in anyway. Hmmmmm.

Mashabell Wed 03-Oct-12 06:39:04

This seems a perfectly sensible approach for an able reader who clearly has plenty of books and home. And regularly goes to the library too?

I should think all the teacher wants is for him to read books that appeal to him. With u keeping an eye on his reading, he'll go from strength to strength. He no longer needs any structured scheme, lucky chap. There are not many children like him. Be pleased and thank your lucky stars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now