Talk

Advanced search

old videotapes

(3 Posts)
theweekendisnear Tue 02-Oct-12 21:40:27

Maybe this is not the best place to post this, but I like this crowd!

We have quite a few videotapes for kids (Disney's movies, Charlotte's Web, ...), and I would like to pass them to somebody that could use them, but none of our friends has a VCR (we still have one - are we the only ones?). The charity shops do not want videotapes, and the library said they need a licence to rent them out. What should I do? Donate them to a museum?

Any suggestions?

Ferguson Tue 02-Oct-12 22:24:30

Hi -

I had dozens of old tapes to dispose of, (ones we had recorded ourselves 'off air', not commercial), but when I asked my local council where they could be recycled, they said they can't and they would have to go to landfill. This annoyed me, and eventually I discovered a company that does recycle magnetic and optical media.

I realise you hope to find a 'good home' for them where children can enjoy them, but if that proves impossible and you have to dispose of them, this company can recycle them, with minimum environmental impact. The only snag I think is that that you have to send them to the company at your own cost, unless you live near enough to take them there. They also take audio cassettes.

Hope you can find someone who wants them. And I'm glad you like 'our crowd' - I'm not much into 'social sites' but this certainly seems to be one of the most intelligent ones, and easy to use.

www.ems-europe.co.uk/about-us/

cheers

BloooCowWonders Tue 02-Oct-12 22:27:20

One of the paediatric hospitals near us uses them whilst children are being given various tests. Maybe worth enquiring ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now