Talk

Advanced search

Worried about DD7's reading and writing...

(11 Posts)
MumGoneCrazy Tue 02-Oct-12 17:05:48

DD7 has just gone into year 3 and today she bought home her spelling test book, she's had 3 so far and I'm a bit worried about the results, her past teachers have said before that she is a bit slower in learning and she has extra phonics in one of her lunch breaks once a week but I'm wondering if more should be done.
First test she got 10/25 second one 8/15 and then 9/15
Some of the spellings I cant even work out what they were meant to be and neither can she but here's a list of some of the words I can make out and how she spelt them...

Sad - sab
Day - dae
Thick - fick
Come - cume
Some - sume
Thinking - thinkin
Banking - bankin
These - thes
Then - thn
There - thou

plus she gets her 3's and 9's backwards and sometimes her 2's and 5's confused, she more often than not gets her B's and D's mixed up when writing and when doing her homework she messes about, fidgets a lot and gets easily frustrated, she is currently bringing home the same reading books as her sister who is in year 1, they both bought home Quick Quick Quick on Friday.
None of her teachers have mentioned anything more serious so am I worrying for nothing?

Bonsoir Tue 02-Oct-12 18:00:56

What is her handwriting like?

frankie4 Tue 02-Oct-12 18:06:59

Sounds a bit like my ds who was diagnosed with dyslexia when he was aged 8. But at this age children can really improve , and my other ds who was spelling like this in year 3 has now started year 4 with much better spelling and writing. I would make a meeting with the school and see if they can do some tests on her. Then I would keep my eye on it, and help her with phonics. If no improvement by the end of year 3 I would maybe get her assessed.

MumGoneCrazy Tue 02-Oct-12 18:21:29

I just asked her to write 3 sentences

I live in a house
I go to the park
It is my bedtime

and will post a pic of it on my profile

Bonsoir Tue 02-Oct-12 18:38:00

She's clearly not very advanced. Do you read with her every evening?

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 02-Oct-12 18:39:50

where do you live? if you read those words out loud in several regional accents they sound the way people speak so perhaps she's struggling to dissociate spelling/writing from the pure synthetic phonics stuff they drill into them in KS1... no idea of a solution as not a teacher or parent of a child this old but it is interesting to read her words out loud and realise this bit

LeeCoakley Tue 02-Oct-12 18:48:53

25 spellings! They must spend all morning on a test this long! Does she bring these home to learn? Smaller chunks would be better.

She must be on some sort of intervention programme I would have thought. I would ask the school what they are doing for her and how you can get involved.

Littlefish Tue 02-Oct-12 18:50:01

I think you should go back and talk to her teacher again. Does she have an IEP (individual education plan)? A child in my school who was writing like that at year 3 would be receiving at least 20 minutes additional phonics support every day. If they failed to make progress with that support they may well be referred to the Learning Support Team for assessment.

Iamnotminterested Tue 02-Oct-12 19:42:21

A bit shocked by Bonsoir's comment!

MumGoneCrazy Tue 02-Oct-12 19:43:39

She does have an IEP, but only gets 1 extra phonics lesson a week.
She moved school last year so started at this school at the beginning of year 2 and have to admit her last school was a lot better, she had a few extra sessions a week and we saw a big improvement but since being at this school we haven't seen a difference or an improvement.
In answer to the other questions we live in south Wales and yes we read to her and get her to read to us every evening, she gets bored very easily and starts to act silly, there's a lot of umming and ahhing and then she starts whinging about having to read and asks why, when she reads in school does she have to at home as well.

diddlediddledumpling Tue 02-Oct-12 19:57:54

I agree with sleepless, I think she's having a reasonable go at the words. For example, the 'o' in 'some' does sound like 'u' (sum), but she's remembered that it had an e at the end. Same for 'come'. I think it's common enough to mix up b and d. Ds1 is in year 3 and has struggled a bit with learning to read and blending the sounds together, but it seems to have clicked in the last couple of months and now he's flying. I agree that a meeting with the teacher is a good idea to discuss concerns, especially if her last school would have been doing more. But it may well turn out fine.
And Bonsoir, i think that comment was a bit unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now