Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Year 2 - reading in class

(9 Posts)
Limonata Tue 02-Oct-12 13:59:42

DS1 is in year 2. He told me yesterday that no-one has listened to him read yet at all. His teacher has two full time TAs, not sure about external helpers though. AIBU to expect someone to have listened to him by now? Am seeing his teacher tomorrow so just wanted some views from the Mumsnet Oracle. We read with him at home and he seems to be doing well. He got a good report at the end of last term. We're not expecting any special treatment, but a month seems a long time, and reading is so important. He reads well with us, but it is often late on in the day and at weekends when he is tired/distracted... so I think hard to tell sometimes! An views appreciated!

crazygracieuk Tue 02-Oct-12 14:03:17

I'd expect the teacher to listen to him in guided reading or if he's been on a reading level for quite a while so probably has to move up.If he's struggling then I'd expect an adult to listen regularly.

Has no adult listened to him to assess his reading level for this school year?

Limonata Tue 02-Oct-12 17:18:03

Thanks for replying crazy. No. No adult has listened to him read yet this year. I'm rather shocked to be honest. My mum was a primary teacher for 35 years - most of that with no TA help apart from the odd student teacher, and she listened to all her children read... (and hand wrote all their reports, but that's a different story!)

alvinchip Tue 02-Oct-12 17:41:10

Mine's in year 2 and has been listened to around 3 times so far. Usually they assess them at the beginning of term to see if they're on the right level and put them into reading groups.

Seems a bit odd to me. I would ask about that.

mrz Tue 02-Oct-12 17:54:57

Your mum probably didn't have the overcrowded curriculum to contend with however. Teaching is very different now to how it was even 5 years ago.

Often children don't realise they have "read" to the teacher unless they have been sat 1-1 with a reading book but teachers listen to children in a variety of contexts to try and fit everything in.

Limonata Tue 02-Oct-12 17:55:37

Thanks. I will ask tomorrow.

AbigailS Tue 02-Oct-12 19:17:59

It is worth checking with the teacher. You wouldn't believe the number of children that swear they haven't read to me in a week and beg for their turn, but when I check my records they read the day before! That or it is their week to do Guided Reading with me, not one-to-one and guided reading doesn't count as reading in their minds.

Does he have any form of home-school reading record book? Teachers do vary how they fill these in. Some do write a comment for guided reading, but I struggle to find the time to complete both my Guided Reading APP record sheet for my assessment folder and make a comment in each of the group;s record books.

Limonata Tue 02-Oct-12 19:45:23

Thank you Abigail. He told me he'd read today 'to a grown up'....!

wigglywoowoo Tue 02-Oct-12 23:24:47

After not reading for a month, he reads to someone the day before you see the teacher! hmm

At least someone has listened to him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now