Talk

Advanced search

is this mad? moving and driving to old school...

(19 Posts)
whatalovelyday Mon 01-Oct-12 14:56:53

We need to move from our flat. Have found a house in another borough. But not far - could drive to school in 15 minutes. Would that be mad? Or should I a) try for a local school or b) just not move. I am finding this VERY stressful and just can't face change, but need more space.

Numberlock Mon 01-Oct-12 14:57:47

How old are your children?

whatalovelyday Mon 01-Oct-12 14:58:37

yr 1 and nursery so I know young enough to settle again, it's more about me! feel like I'm going mad with the worry!

iwantavuvezela Mon 01-Oct-12 14:59:12

Can you not move and keep things as they are, drive to school. Once you are settled in your new place, you can visit schools closer, and weigh up what your choices are, get to know other parents, talk to schools, perhaps you could do a move after Christmas? 15 minutes isnt that much to do if you have to ...... i wouldnt not move for that distance !

meditrina Mon 01-Oct-12 15:00:00

Go for a middle ground. Keep your DCs in the school and drive whilst applying for a place nearer your new address. Move them when a suitable place comes up. There's no urgency, unless you are about to hit school transfer and your new location has a feeder school system.

It might even be positive for DCs to keep them with their old friends at school whilst you settle in your new home.

BackforGood Mon 01-Oct-12 15:00:01

Certainly not mad if they are in Yr5 or 6 and you want to finish off, but if you have little ones, or even pre-schoolers, I think going to the closest school is a real bonus (as long as you like the school of course)

BackforGood Mon 01-Oct-12 15:00:39

x posted.
Agree with others.

Floralnomad Mon 01-Oct-12 15:00:51

If your DCs are happy where they are I'd do the drive .

Numberlock Mon 01-Oct-12 15:01:59

I'd keep them where they are, 15 minutes isn't a big deal unless it will impact on the rest of your day massively.

JackJacksmummy Mon 01-Oct-12 15:02:36

We moved and kept them at old school - 20 min bus journey!
Then to make things easier we tried moving them to local schools - they hated it. 6months later we moved them back and best decision we made.

whatalovelyday Mon 01-Oct-12 15:03:35

thanks all. i can do the 15 mins - it's more about how it affects playdates etc. but i love the school and it scares me to change and have to start again.

purplehouse Mon 01-Oct-12 15:05:28

I would do the drive but make sure you have factored in the rush hour traffic, the time taken to find a parking space and also contingency time to avoid being late. I do a similar drive with slightly older children but I am happy with it.

whatalovelyday Mon 01-Oct-12 15:06:06

i find it comforting that lots of kids at private school and in the country do that sort of journey all the time. but worried i'll feel split between two communities.

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 01-Oct-12 15:08:54

Living in the countryside, no school is nearer than that? To be its a total non issue.

However, your DDs are very small and could change easily and would probably like walking distance friends.

Therefore, I'd look at nearer schools, and put your name down if there are long waiting list, but I wouldn't rush.

akaemmafrost Mon 01-Oct-12 15:13:35

If they're happy there and you are happy don't move them.

I moved both my dc for various reasons, posted about it on here actually. It was awful. We ALL hated the school. I felt sick every day dropping them off, didn't sleep for the whole two weeks we stuck it out, my youngest cried every day sad. I pulled them out and brought them back and am so glad I did.

whatalovelyday Mon 01-Oct-12 16:02:28

thanks everyone. feeling a bit calmer now. i guess the thing is to move and commute and see how it goes, get to know people at the schools and decide what to do. In a few years we may have more money and might move back. By then I'll be worrying about secondary!!!

noramum Mon 01-Oct-12 16:02:48

15 minutes is what a lot of parents in my area would find a small distance to do.

I did it for 1 year as we kept DD in her old nursery as we couldn't find a place near our new house. It wasn't bad but I hated it during winter. It was cold, often I had to de-ice the windscreen, roadwork cause trouble for 2 months and the parking stopped being free just after DD started school.

I wouldn't do it again. So see what the benefits are compared to a more local school.

Also think that you will have to ferry your children around for playdates for years to come.

whatalovelyday Mon 01-Oct-12 16:03:09

poor you akaemmafrost - I really feel your pain - and thanks for your advice.

AngelWreakinHavoc Mon 01-Oct-12 16:46:04

I have just moved and my Ds is year 11 (15) I didn't want to move him in his gcse year so have been taking him to his old school every day. It is 13 miles away so a 52 mile round trip for me there and back twice. It is a nightmare and if he was any younger I would definitely be moving him schools. I would move your dc whilst they are still young enough to settle into a new school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now