Talk

Advanced search

What to do about dd?

(65 Posts)
LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 13:42:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purpleroses Mon 01-Oct-12 13:53:08

My DS went right off reading for a while whist still working through all the wretched coloured books. He got bored, switched off and got stuck at the same level for ages. Eventually I pushed the teacher to let him onto other books, and he suddenly discovered that he could read things he enjoyed! I would focus on finding out what she likes to read (doesn't have to be fiction) and encourage her to read as a route to enjoyng a good story, or finding out some information rather than reading for readings sake - which is obviously what she's doing if she's "reading" but not remembering what she's read.

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 14:06:41

simpson Mon 01-Oct-12 14:22:46

Can you send her into school with a book from home that she really loves and is enthusiastic about so that the teacher can read that with her??

It might make them realise she can read the harder books <hopeful>

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 14:42:58

purpleroses Mon 01-Oct-12 14:47:49

The school should have plenty suitable books. They should be able to borrow books from another year group if necessary - my DD's school regularly does this enable them all to read books that are at the right level for them. Though no reason not to send one in from home or public library if you've got one she likes.

simpson Mon 01-Oct-12 14:49:38

I have just done this for DS in yr3 as he is a very able reader but does not have a love of reading like his younger sister.

He got a book the other week from school about a moth being a gift from God, it was enough to put anyone off reading for life!!

His teacher is happy for me to provide his books now, you could always ask to do the same thing...

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 16:06:17

numbum Mon 01-Oct-12 16:45:29

When they ask her what the book was about she can't remember because she doesn't need to think while reading

Of course she needs to think while she's reading. If she can't answer comprehension questions on the easier books I can understand their reluctance to move her up

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 17:00:27

simpson Mon 01-Oct-12 19:51:48

Can you have a chat with her teacher and express your concerns??

mrz Mon 01-Oct-12 20:04:16

It might not be an effort to read the words but the whole point of reading is to know what you've read.

numbum Mon 01-Oct-12 20:21:26

You make it sound as though reading to understand is beneath her just because the books are 'too easy'. If she can't show the teachers that she's taking it in and comprehending it then they'll just assume she's reading but not understanding it and keep her on that level until she DOES show that skill

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 20:26:17

She needs to learn to read the book and take it what is on the page not just recite the words.

Sounds like the school (and it would help if you did it to) needs to do some more comprehension type tasks whereby she has to read the story and take in what has happened.

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 20:39:07

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 20:41:06

If she isn't showing the school that though they won't move her on because as far as they are concerned she doesn't comprehend it.

Tgger Mon 01-Oct-12 20:41:40

But maybe the very easy books are very dull, I understand that.There isn't that much to say about some of them! If I was you, I'd get on Oxford Owl and have a go at the e books. Let her pick what she fancies-you can aim at the level she has at school or two, three, four, five levels higher if you think that's where she's at grin. If you can find some books that she loves at the right level you will have cracked it. Good luck!

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 20:46:46

mrz Mon 01-Oct-12 20:49:00

Or perhaps they are giving her very easy books because she can't remember what she has just read.

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 20:53:15

Tgger Mon 01-Oct-12 20:56:51

Remember to turn the sound off grin. It's a fab resource, solved my problems last year!

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 20:59:28

LunaticFringe Mon 01-Oct-12 21:07:35

Floggingmolly Mon 01-Oct-12 21:08:00

There's more to reading than simply parroting the words, you know.
If your dd is unable to answer any comprehension questions about what she's just read then she will not actually be the "top reader" at all, and other children who have started off more slowly have now passed her out.

mrz Mon 01-Oct-12 21:12:07

Can I ask which books she is reading?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now