Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's reception child still crying? Come and make me feel better about myself.

(11 Posts)
orangefan Mon 01-Oct-12 12:09:22

It's awful, she's sobbing every day. Loves school, made friends, seems happy, but just so tearful in the mornings. Nearly made herself sick this morning.
Just don't know what to do, can't afford to put her in breakfast club (which she went to one day last week and loved and didn't cry). Every day is so hard.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:33:20

My ds is now 11 but we went through this, it will get better.

Just keep a smile on your face , look confident, give her a hug and a kiss say goodbye and don't hang around.

theliverpoolone Mon 01-Oct-12 12:38:46

Probably not much consolation, but some children are still crying at drop off in YR1! And seem to then get on fine with the rest of the day. My dd never cried at drop off, but only told me last week that she used to cry during the day cos she missed me sad. I think I'd rather she'd cried on the way in and then been fine, than been sad when I didn't know and wasn't there.

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 01-Oct-12 12:39:40

DD is crying in the morning. I am on maternity leave so DD wants to stay with me. According to her teacher, she is fine within about 5 minutes and then enjoys the rest of the day.

It is hard, but I am sure she will get used to school. Orangefan I hope your DD also settles down soon.

Chrysanthemum5 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:49:13

Is there anyone else who could drop off for a bit? DH drops the DCs at school because if I do it then DD (5) cries. She's totally fine with anyone else taking her, but if I'm there then she wants to be with me.

orangefan Mon 01-Oct-12 12:58:37

I was thinking about that, she went to breakfast club last week and apparently was fine, but it would cost so much a month to send her in every day and we can't really afford it. DH works in town so not around to drop off. I'll just keep going but thank you for your kind words.

CharlieBoo Mon 01-Oct-12 13:12:24

My ds (now 7) also cried every day until the end of October! It was so hard, starting school also made him tearful at home, bedtime, he was quite stressed looking back. Don't keep talking to her about the crying and asking her not to do it, as it's not something she can control. Appear incredibly calm in the mornings, a quick kiss, see you at pick up and off you go, don't even look back. One of the TA's told me to do this, a bit of tough love... She also promised him a special treat if he could go in without crying.. Which was the class teddy to have at the weekend. Ask the teacher for some advice too. It just takes time, and is soooo hard. I remember being so heartbroken seeing him like it. good luck

CharlieBoo Mon 01-Oct-12 13:13:40

can't control... X

miranda1028 Tue 02-Oct-12 11:16:10

Hi Orangefan,
i don't know if this helps, but I used to cry every morning when my mum dropped me off at reception. I remember clearly that I loved school and had friends - I just felt anxiety initially about being away from my mother. According to my mother, it took a while to stop (maybe 3 months?). She said that the teachers told her that I would be fine within 10 mins every morning and playing happily. Have you asked the teacher how long it takes for your DD to feel better and take part?

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Tue 02-Oct-12 19:30:00

there are a couple of y2 children who still cry sometimes.

that may not be helpful...

i ahd to peel ds off my leg today.

waitandseepudding Tue 02-Oct-12 20:17:57

orange, I could have written your post. Dd is happy going to school and enjoys it (I think, we don't hear much) after the few niggles we had at the beginning.

But she's had more than a few mornings of crying. I find it takes so long to get her in,there's no quick leave her to get on with it. By the time she's put her lunch box away, got her water bottle out, got her reading folder out, hung her coat up, found her name for registration, she's decided that she'd rather not be there. I'm trying to get her to do these things alone too so that she's independent-she has just turned 5.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now