Talk

Advanced search

P scales in year 2 - but not special needs?

(4 Posts)
RosaLappen Sun 30-Sep-12 17:48:15

Is that possible? Can a child at this stage in year 2 be on p scales without being on the special needs register? Is it up to the school to make that decision? He does an IEP which gets reviewed quarterly, but is not on any SN category.

littlemiss06 Sun 30-Sep-12 17:50:55

I always thought a child with an IEP was on the school special needs register as the IEP is for a child with specific needs. Might be wrong but thats what I thought

mrz Sun 30-Sep-12 17:54:28

Schools should only use P scales for pupils identified as having SEN but if a child is working at that level they obviously need support. I suspect he is SA school action if he has an IEP which is a SEN category.
"P scales must only be used when assessing pupils with special educational needs. ."

www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/a00203453/about-the-p-scales

yellowdandelion Sun 30-Sep-12 18:31:38

As others have said, if a child has an IEP they would be on the special needs register somewhere. This does not mean that he will will have a statement of special educational need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now