Talk

Advanced search

education levels

(22 Posts)
noname11 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:57:11

Is there anywhere I can find a 'simple' summary of what academic levels are expected in each primary year ie reception; year 1; & year 2 - or am I asking too much?

missyPlumcake Thu 04-Oct-12 22:49:08

Our school had a talk for parents recently covering this question. In short most should achieve a 2b by end of year 2. Above average is a 2a and the top few percent will get level 3 although not all schools will give a level 3 as OFSTED judge on progress and satisfactory progrss is judged to be 2 full levels from end of yr2 to end of yr 6. A level 4a at the end of Yr 6 is above average with the top 10% achieving a 5a. About 12 children in our yr6 this year will be put in for the level 6 paper which is well into KS3 work. A grade C at GCSE is a level 7. Hope that helps...

flinkystanny Thu 04-Oct-12 23:04:44

Hi noname, If you are a member of TES or join it, this link gives you downloads for all the literacy targets by sublevel for Early Years/ Key Stage 1

yellowsun Thu 04-Oct-12 23:05:16

Year 1 - 1a
Year 2 - 2b
Year 3 - 2a/3c
Year 4 - 3b
Year 5 - 3a/4c
Year 6 - 4b

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 05-Oct-12 08:26:37

If a DC was teacher assessed as lvl 3a at the end of Y2, what would be their expected lvl at the end of Y6?

Would a Y2 teacher assessment of lvl 3a across the board explain why a DC would be put forward for the lvl 6 SATS? And would you expect them to achieve that?

Rosebud05 Fri 05-Oct-12 10:01:26

I thought Y2 assessments of L3 didn't have sublevels?

Happy to be corrected, though.

Houseworkprocrastinator Fri 05-Oct-12 10:08:35

is this the same in wales?
my daughter is y1 now but last year on her report her level was F4 is that because it was reception or because they do it different here? never seen anything that look like the level system above.

Rosebud05 Fri 05-Oct-12 10:09:43

I think the foundation stage is longer in Wales, so yes, levels will be different.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 05-Oct-12 10:14:28

SATS don't have sub levels, but teacher assessments do in my DS's primary school.

The school does their Y2 teacher assessments in conjunction with a Y3 teacher - to ensure consistency between key stages, we were told.

They do their Y6 teacher assessments in conjunction with Y7 teachers from the Secondary that the majority of the pupils end up at, again supposedly to ensure consistency between Key Stages, and to make sure the Secondary have a true picture of levels as they set mostly based on Y6 teacher assessments and SATS results until they sit the CATS tests.

Is that not usual?

Houseworkprocrastinator Fri 05-Oct-12 10:16:15

ahh f for foundation smile yes i think it goes all the way to year 2.

is there any way to compare them to nc levels then or is it just completely separate?

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Fri 05-Oct-12 10:18:22

Should be able to get a copy from the school of levels that are expected and when.

I got an a3 sheet of info last term when ds1 was in reception.

But I had to ask for it

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 05-Oct-12 10:19:08

The schools work very closely with each other in my town, especially the end of town I live in.

The majority of the Secondaries local to me are part of an Academy Consortium (not sponsored, but run like a mini LA), and the Primaries this end of town all work together very closely.

noname11 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:18:27

Thanks for all the responses - @ Flinkystanny - I am not a member of TES so unfortunately was not able to download those details - but that is what I am really after - these lables 2a 3a etc mean nothing to me - I would like more details about what is expected within each subject area ie maths; literacy etc - if anyone has any specific details that would be great....

flinkystanny Sat 06-Oct-12 07:33:06

No name - you can register quickly and easily on their website for free. I am pretty sure they muct have numeracy descriptors somewhere on there too.

noname11 Sat 13-Oct-12 21:29:20

ok Thanks Flinkystanny smile

mrz Sat 13-Oct-12 21:43:09

(Technically the sub levels don't exist) but roughly how it works is that each level is divided into three sub levels, for example 3A, 3B and 3C.
• C means that the child has started to work at the level
• B means that the child is working well within the level
• A means that the child has reached the top of the level and is working towards the next level.

mrz Sat 13-Oct-12 21:44:58

and there aren't any national expectations for each year group only for end of Key Stages (year 2 & 6)
It is expected that MOST pupils will achieve level 2 in Y2 and level 4 in Y6.

PastSellByDate Sun 14-Oct-12 08:22:05

Hi noname11

Mumsnet Learning pages have some information on National Curriculum levels and how children move through them here:

www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/national-curriculum-levels

and information on what the levels mean here:

www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/what-national-curriculum-levels-mean

and how children progress through the levels here:

www.mumsnet.com/learning/assessment/progress-through-national-curriculum-levels

HTH

mrz Sun 14-Oct-12 08:32:53

Unfortunately the information provided by Pearson's doesn't match the government's.
www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/ks3_04/k3.shtml

mrz Sun 14-Oct-12 08:44:26

Expected Progress
1. The DCSF has determined that NC level 2B is the expected outcome for median progress as KS1.
2. It has also determined that FSP 6 is the expected outcome at the end of Reception for a child showing „a good level of development‟.
3. Further, the DCSF stated, in its August 2006 advice on target setting, that, at Key Stage One, “Children should generally make at least 1 level progress per year across the key stage”.
4. In its August 2007 advice on target setting, the DCSF has modified its position, so that, while continuing to say that „children need to reach level 2B or above by the end of year 2‟, it concludes that „depending on their starting point on entering Key Stage 1 children should have targets to make at least I level of progress across the key stage‟.
5. We find the DCSF‟s 2007 advice confusing and have preferred to stick with the common sense view that a target of Level 2B at the end of year 2, implies that pupils need to make one level of progress each year (in line with the DCSF‟s 2006 advice). This means that pupils are expected to reach FSP 6 (equivalent to NC points 3) at the end of Reception and are then expected to make 6 points progress (one level) to NC level 1B at the end of Year 1 and a further 6 points progress to NC level 2B by the end of Key Stage One.

mrz Sun 14-Oct-12 08:48:58

Expected Progress
1. The DCSF has determined that NC level 2B is the expected outcome for median progress as KS1.
2. It has also determined that FSP 6 is the expected outcome at the end of Reception for a child showing „a good level of development
3. Further, the DCSF stated, in its August 2006 advice on target setting, that, at Key Stage One, “Children should generally make at least _1 level progress per year_ across the key stage”.
4. In its August 2007 advice on target setting, the DCSF has modified its position, so that, while continuing to say that „children need to reach level 2B or above by the end of year 2;, it concludes that „depending on their starting point on entering Key Stage 1 children should have targets to make at least I level of progress across the key stage3;.
5. We find the DCSF;s 2007 advice confusing and have preferred to stick with the common sense view that a target of Level 2B at the end of year 2, implies that pupils need to make one level of progress each year (in line with the DCSFs 2006 advice). This means that pupils are expected to reach FSP 6 (equivalent to NC points 3) at the end of Reception and are then expected to make 6 points progress (one level) to level 1B at the end of Year 1 and a further 6 points progress to NC level 2B by the end of Key Stage One.
not sure where the code came from in the previous post

noname11 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:52:18

Thank you Pastsellbydate & Mrz - very useful info smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now