Talk

Advanced search

Rydes Hill

(8 Posts)
Ughfootballseason Sat 29-Sep-12 21:28:42

Does anyone know this school at all? We're looking for people's opinions on it as we're trying to decide whether it's worth the money!

We've visited and DH has fallen in love. Would you pick it over the more academic schools? I'm after a nurturing environment first and foremost. Other option is an excellent state infant school.

Many thanks.

Chestnutx3 Sat 29-Sep-12 21:53:46

I would choose St Hilary's over Rydes Hill if you don't want to go for one of the more academic schools, presume you have a DD not a DS. Tormead is the most nurturing so I would look at that. Do not have a DD there though but one of the others as really you have to find the right school for your DD not for you or your DH they are all very different.

mummytime Sat 29-Sep-12 22:27:06

I have known friends send their daughters their in the past (even though they lived very close to Tormead), and know people who have just moved their daughters there. They all seem quite happy and to be doing well.
Is it a Catholic school you are looking for? Have you looked at St Theresea's? Which seniors are you looking at? A lot from Rydes Hill seem to go to Farnborough Hill.

Ughfootballseason Sat 29-Sep-12 22:33:19

We're not looking for Catholic in particular. Ryde's Hill is close to us and I like that it's not selective.

Do lots of girls go to Farnborough Hill because they can't get into the more selective schools or through choice? I like what I've read about FH though.

Almamomma Sat 29-Sep-12 22:38:34

It depends what you want and who your DD is. It is very nurturing and achieves well academically, has a strong musical and dramatic tradition (less of a sporting one) and you will have to be happy with it being deliberately old-fashioned and strongly Catholic.

However, for me, it is magical and quite unique. It has a view of childhood which acknowledges the importance of innocence, imagination and compassion alongside self-discipline. The dining hall is Hogwarts, the uniform Enid Blyton and the library Narnia. I fell in love the moment I walked in and years later I am still in love with it. It is quite simply one of the best things in my daughter's (and my whole family's) lives. Worth every penny.

Ughfootballseason Sat 29-Sep-12 22:42:30

Thanks Almamomma. You've just cost me about £140k assuming we don't go for a third DC. I'll send you the bill :D.

What's the head like? I haven't had a chance to speak to her. And what do the parents tend to be like?

Ughfootballseason Sun 30-Sep-12 20:39:02

Bump

Happymum22 Tue 02-Oct-12 16:03:31

My knowledge is a bit out of date as my DDs are now all pretty much adults! but they were at Guildford high and quite a few of their friends were at rydes hill.
Parents generally quite religious. All sorts of money levels.
The girls were very very clever (but they were the ones who got into super selective GHS) and mothers very tea party, school fair coordnator, PTA types. But lovely.
Its all very old fashioned and nurturing. The girls seem to end up at a variety of good senior schools all suiting the individual.
Fairly small, not good at sport but still opportunities.
Don't know much else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now