Talk

Advanced search

Read Write Inc and cursive handwriting

(17 Posts)
RosemaryandThyme Fri 28-Sep-12 13:53:01

My Ds school have introduce RWInc this term, he is Y1.

In reception they practiced cursive handwriting, he is able to write this way now.

School have now said that due to RWInc children are now required to print their writing as RWInc has no resources for cursive writing.

Just wondered if anyone has any experiance of this and if I should give-0up encouraging cursive handwriting at home.

Thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 13:59:15

Our school has been doing RWI since Easter. Think I must misunderstand what cursive writing is because I thought that how letters were taught was cursive.

So far we've had 3 different presentations on RWI for Parents to find out about it including a mock teaching session. All the letters on the cards the teachers were using had the little tails on them.

Our school also has sheets which they give out to new and prospective parents with their standard way of doing letters so that everyone is taught the same throughout their school.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

RosemaryandThyme Fri 28-Sep-12 14:15:32

That is interesting - the little cards and writing books we have been shown are all without joining tails - I wonder if your school has made them or if ours have just opted for non-cursive package.
Ours gave the impression that RWInc almost wouldn't allow joining-up, perhaps they just don't think the children can do it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:25:23

Don't think our school has made the cards but pretty sure that they have the tail on the letters, in fact I'm positive.

Don't think it would be that the school don't think the pupils could do cursive either. All the pupils in our school (ages 4 to 11) were assessed and most started on it. Even DS who was in Y3 and a good reader did it for a while. The school said that they wanted as many of the children to do the RWI because, with the more able ones, it plugs any knowledge gaps.

cakebar Fri 28-Sep-12 14:32:39

Our school does RWI and cursive handwriting.

Our DS (yr1) really struggles with the handwriting and has started using capitals for some letters to avoid more tricky lower case ones. I would prefer they concentrate on legibility and for some children this might mean non joined up writing, both DH and I had difficulties with handwriting at school, but as long as people can read it, I don't see why it is important that it is neat and joined up.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:36:52

Think the school wants joined up writing for the SATS. I could be wrong on that one though.

RosemaryandThyme Fri 28-Sep-12 14:37:09

My son too has reverted to slotting in capitals, I had just thought he was confused but what you say makes sense regarding avoiding the trickier lower case letters.
Agree totally that writing is communication and legibility is what matters.
I thought though that children had to learn cursive as they get points for it in their exams.

RosemaryandThyme Fri 28-Sep-12 14:38:38

Yes, I too have a feeling that joined-up is worth a few exam points by Y6.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:53:48

Just been to fetch one of DDs RWInc books so that I could have a look at the letters on the speed sounds page.

You are right, the letters aren't cursive. Am pretty sure though that on the teacher's cards at our school letters like m and a had tails.......

Could be mixed up. I blame the winegrin.

mrz Fri 28-Sep-12 17:35:09

The letters are "pre" cursive in that they have the exit stroke but aren't joined to the next letter.
Personally I think it's important children learn individual letters before joining which is if you like the next easy step.

mrz Fri 28-Sep-12 17:37:35

The new National Curriculum tests introduced this year (for 2013) will test grammar, punctuation, spelling and handwriting.

mrz Fri 28-Sep-12 17:42:31

www.waterstones.com/wat/images/nbd/m/978019/846/9780198460350.jpg

Redwinekeepsmesane Fri 28-Sep-12 17:45:38

I am a TA and we do RWI. When we had our training they said that you can put tails on the letters as you teach them if your school introduces cursive writing early on. HTH.

cakebar Fri 28-Sep-12 18:10:47

Ah I didn't know that joined up handwriting was tested. That's interesting.

mrz Fri 28-Sep-12 18:16:39

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/english%20grammar%20punctuation%20and%20spelling%20test%20-%20parents%20leaflet.pdf

Tgger Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:54

Anyone recommend any practice sheets/books for joined up writing? DS brought home a sheet from school today, screwed up in book bag grin. That will be a good start but would like some at home for him to do as and when.

mrz Fri 28-Sep-12 18:55:35

NC Key Level descriptor
Level 3
Vocabulary: sequences of sentences extend ideas logically and words are chosen for variety and interest.
Sentence-grammar: the basic grammatical structure of sentences is usually correct.
Spelling: spelling is usually accurate, including that of common, polysyllabic words.
Punctuation: punctuation to mark sentences - full stops, capital letters and question marks - is used accurately.
Handwriting: handwriting is joined and legible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now