Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

school application- help

(5 Posts)
cb2010 Thu 27-Sep-12 22:47:37

I have to fill in my sons school application form for school we have to apply for 3 schools however we are only in the catchment for one school and it is scoring unsatisfactory . so I have to apply for a schools still in the same town but the catchment stops at our street, any way I have to write why I have picked the schools i have and I can't seem to word it very well I can't get the last bit to sound right.

so far I have:

This School is close to were we live in addition this school is located opposite my place of work as I am a single parent and the only person providing us an income having my son at this school will enable work with in schools hours without having to take out travel time to work.

Any help would be appreciated

many thanks in advance
x

steppemum Thu 27-Sep-12 22:59:59

although being near work is important, I would also say something about the school's atmosohere and ethos suiting your ds. If you have visited the school say something about how you liked the head, liked the bright enthusiastic buzz in the school. Or your ds is very arty/loves science or somethign and the school had lots of that going on.

Your paragraph needs some punctuation I think it was a little hard to read.

Unfortunately, it is likely that this bit is irrelevant anyway. Most places have strict systems according ot distance from your house to the school. Closest kids get in first.

tiggytape Thu 27-Sep-12 23:37:34

cb2010 - the forms by law have to have a section for you to explain your choice but, unless your reasons stated directly relate to the admission criteria, they do not actually help your application at all (they may help a subsequent appeal by showing how strongly you felt but even then only partly).

Unfortunately working hours / childcare and transport logistics do not come under admission criteria unless the child has a medical reason for needing a school in a particular location for example. If it is just a matter of working hours and convenience, it will not be taken into account.

As steppemum says, unless you have something to write in that section that is an exceptional medical reason or something else that bumps you up the admission criteria (child adopted from care for example) then the only thing that matters is how close you live.

By all means though include it on the form as if you want to appeal, you can show you had reasons in advance for your choices

prh47bridge Thu 27-Sep-12 23:59:40

Tiggytape is right. Unless you have information that will put your child in a higher admission category you might as well leave the box blank. Nothing you put will make any difference to your chances of getting a place at your preferred school. I appreciate that the position of your preferred school would be very convenient for you but I'm afraid they aren't allowed to take that into account.

I would strongly recommend putting your catchment school as your third choice. If you don't there is a good chance you will fail to get any of your preferred schools and your catchment school will be full, in which case you will be allocated a place at the nearest school with places available. That will be an unpopular school and could be miles away.

crazymum53 Fri 28-Sep-12 08:52:11

The chances are though that many aspects of the "unsatisfactory" OFSTED report are now out-of-date. Usually extra money is put into such schools to make sure that the identified weaknesses are addressed which may include having a new Head, strengthening teaching staff etc. Many schools do improve rapidly so I wouldn't let it put me off. You don't have to put this school as "first" choice but it is a good idea to have your catchment or nearest school as the third preference, especially if you live in an LEA where there is a shortage of places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now