Talk

Advanced search

Reception DD and reading

(9 Posts)
thisthreadwilloutme Thu 27-Sep-12 20:25:42

DD started reception last month and is bringing home level 8 Oxford Reading Tree books. I'm really happy she's a fantastic reader, I'm just a bit worried that as she moves up some of the stories might not be age appropriate. Today's book was a bit scary in parts for a four year old. I have no experience of the books but just wondering if any of them might be totally unsuitable for her. Feel free to tell me I am being an idiot. Thanks!

burmac Thu 27-Sep-12 20:35:35

I don't know those books but my DD1 did something similar and the teacher would put a note in her journal if she wanted me to think about whether the book was too old for DD. I recall us reading a book about refugees stuck at sea when she was maybe around 6 and really had no idea that sort of thing goes on in the world. As it happened I didn't object to any of the books and she read every book in the scheme, which was a cool achievement.

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 27-Sep-12 20:38:22

OK thanks - I might have a word with her teacher to see if she can do something similar. Thanks.

learnandsay Thu 27-Sep-12 20:40:29

We're getting our books from the library for our Reception daughter so that we can choose what she reads.

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 27-Sep-12 20:43:04

Learnandsay we go to the library too but these are her homework reading books IYSWIM, does your dd not get books from school too?

learnandsay Thu 27-Sep-12 20:47:29

Yes she does. But her school seems far more concerned that we read with her regularly than it is about what she reads specifically. As long as we record what she's read in her log book they're happy. (I guess if she couldn't read and we wouldn't read the tutorial books they sent us things might be different. I don't know. But she can and we are where we are.)

MrsFaffnBobbocks Thu 27-Sep-12 20:48:27

I've found the same problem. There are limited texts for young able readers - with appropriate story content. Recently my (just turned) six year old got upset at reading a story about the fall if Troy. I put a note in his reading record. He had a different book the next day. I don't think they oversee all texts chosen. When dd also had this, I had a word with my dd's teacher and she recommended some books.

thisthreadwilloutme Thu 27-Sep-12 20:51:57

Ok I see, I'll have a word with the teacher and see what she says. Thanks.

Wobblypig Thu 27-Sep-12 22:44:27

The ort 8 and 9. Can be quite difficult in terms of context . Stories about EGyptians, Victorian England and Vikings are a bit out the experience of 4/5 year old we found. Ds had to dip in and out of ort mix and matching with other schemes with less complex story lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now