Talk

Advanced search

I think I might be behind the curve...

(7 Posts)
MJandherdog Thu 27-Sep-12 20:12:05

I've just been perusing a few discussions on mumsnet regarding reception class reading and coloured levels and fear I might have missed something!

We have always read to our dd and she has a keen interest in books. She has always been enthusiastic about writing but never shown any real desire to manipulate the words particularly. She was 4 in July. Anyway, other than nurture an enjoyment of "reading" (or being read to) were we supposed to have worked on actually decoding words?

I have no idea what these levels are- have I missed something? This school malarkey is a mine field!

An0therName Thu 27-Sep-12 20:19:30

if you are in england --not sure exactly of timescales in the rest of uk - then your DD will be learning phonics in reception - and you would normally have a parents meeting to explain about it - my DS had no interest in reading until later on in reception

HumphreyCobbler Thu 27-Sep-12 20:22:45

you have given her a fantastic start. It is not necessary to work on decoding words before school (although it is fine if the child shows an interest). The most important thing is to make books available and fun. The rest will follow.

I am a teacher and I didn't do much with my DS before he started school as he wasn't really interested in learning to read.

Wigeon Thu 27-Sep-12 20:22:57

You are not "supposed" to have done anything! I'm pretty sure that if you have just read to your DD and encouraged her to enjoy books, that's all any (reasonable) school would want.

My DD1 has just started Reception and there seems to be quite a range of abilities amongst the class - from children who are still learning the letter sounds, to ones who can read simple books. And when they got their first reading books home, some children got books with no words in them, just pictures, and some got books with words.

I don't know anything about coloured levels - our school seems to do Oxford Reading Tree (Biff, Chip and Kipper). Or maybe they do coloured levels later on? In any case, it certainly doesn't seem to be anything to worry about now.

coldcupoftea Thu 27-Sep-12 20:23:54

You have done exactly the right thing- no point pushing them to read/write until they are ready. A love of books is much more important.

DD is in reception and they don't get reading books til half term!

MJandherdog Thu 27-Sep-12 20:50:52

Thanks girls. I've always been a fairly confident parent to date...I feel completely out of my comfort zone with school! Exacerbated by the fact that my darling, angelic daughter appears to have turned into Kevin and Perry overnight!

Wigeon Thu 27-Sep-12 20:52:41

Do you have a parents' evening coming up? We have one in October. You can store up questions about things like reading levels and ask then.

It is all very bewildering for a new parent - much more than for the children it seems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now