Talk

Advanced search

Primary school dinners question. How many fish fingers does your child get given?

(53 Posts)
Pernickety Thu 27-Sep-12 19:03:15

Our county is supposed to have a different menu every 3 weeks. My children only have school dinners on Fridays because most children do, being the day they get chips! Even though other fish is advertised on the menu 2 out of the 3 weeks, my DDs (Y2 & Y5) always get fish fingers. And they get two fish fingers. Is this typical nationwide? Or is my county council, or school even, being cheap?

overmydeadbody Thu 27-Sep-12 19:04:23

Yep 2 fish fingers sounds about right.

PenguinBear Thu 27-Sep-12 19:05:13

Ours get 3 (small ones) I think

picturesinthefirelight Thu 27-Sep-12 19:07:13

I don't know how many they get at school but at home they get 2 (& I get 3!)

PrimrosePath Thu 27-Sep-12 19:09:29

Yes, ours get 2 fishfingers, the next week 2 fish goujons and then fish and chips on the third week. What's the betting that fish is on two finger size bits.

daisydoodoo Thu 27-Sep-12 19:11:05

I just asked ds2 and dd1 who both go to the same school and ds2 (10) said 2 and dd1(6) said 3!

ByTheWay1 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:29:44

Ours get 2 - of the most insipid looking trashy cheap looking fish fingers you ever saw - I tell you, if parents actually saw the crap their kids were getting - and how much of it goes in the slop bucket, they would stop paying good money for it... it really is dire.... (I'm a mid day supervisor)

DeWe Thu 27-Sep-12 19:35:26

I would only eat 2 grin

QuintessentialShadows Thu 27-Sep-12 19:38:30

2 fish fingers How old are these children?

My Y6 and Y3 boys eat 5-6, with veg and either rice or potatoes. I thought that was little....

piratecat Thu 27-Sep-12 19:38:40

OOOh i am glad of this thread.

dd gets 2. she is 10 yrs old and 5ft, they all get the same amount, so 4 yr olds get the same. It's ridiculous, and she says they all complain of being hungry after lunch. It's just not enough food for £2 + a day is it.

MissHuffy Thu 27-Sep-12 19:41:40

My DD is 5. She got two fish fingers today. They seem to get loads of food though - masses of veg if they want them.

ByTheWay1 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:43:31

They all get the same amount because they all pay the same money - so you get YR feeling totally overwhelmed by a big plate of food (to them) and Y6 thinking "is that it".....

MilkRunningOutAgain Thu 27-Sep-12 19:45:07

My dcs get 2 as well. And my 9 year old eats 4 or 5 at home. Sadly, as the quality is OK in our area, but the quantity no longer is, I'm reconciling myself to making sandwiches which I hate doing. But DS is quite literally starving at home time and no snacks are allowed, apart from 1 piece of fruit. He is extremey active.

Beanbagz Thu 27-Sep-12 19:46:55

3 small fishfingers for my DCs (same as at home).

mrz Thu 27-Sep-12 19:47:40

They all get the same amount because they all pay the same money
I wish someone would tell our dinner ladies because they take it upon themselves to give the infants less

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 27-Sep-12 19:50:54

DS (6) informs me he gets two. Plus as much vegetables / beans as they like (if they ask nicely for extra) and a salad bar and bread. Then pudding.

DS is very active and has a bottomless pit for a stomach, but at the moment school dinners fills him up. Certainly better than a packed lunch could, especially now it's getting colder.

Pernickety Thu 27-Sep-12 19:57:45

My children complain of being hungry in the afternoon. Dd1 is a petite 9 year old but she has a big appetite and they get 3 fish fingers at home. They get a woeful amount of chips too. DD1 tells me exactly how many. I say, if there's so few you can count them, there's not enough. School dinners are a rip off. It would make my life easier if I could pay for them to be fed a school dinner most lunchtimes but I would end up feeding them a main meal again in the evenings. I often do on a Friday.

ByTheWay1 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:08:38

The added problem at our school is that normally about 80 out of 400 take school dinners - on a Friday this rises to 260 - fun, fun, fun trying to get them all through in three quarters of an hour..... with 2 people serving.... especially now the reception kids have started to want their chips on a Friday

ours get 2 fish fingers and 10 chips (avg) by the way - YEP TEN...... most don't want veg - usually broccoli (broccoli shouldn't look grey should it?) and carrots - that shoot across the plate when you attack them with a fork... some take some cucumber with it... the cucumber and chips get eaten, some of the fish fingers do too, but most end up in the slops... sad really.... and yet because 260 people order it, school thinks it is a success!

dikkertjedap Thu 27-Sep-12 20:26:10

Yes, two (very pale looking as they do not get fried) fishfingers, no matter which age.

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Thu 27-Sep-12 20:30:31

I can't believe people give DC 4 or 5! 2 is enough!

1805 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:31:48

Do yours get to eat of a plate or a plastic tray? I think it's awful they eat straight off the tray. Our primary school kids only get 1 veg. I cannot consider the meal they get there as a proper meal.
DS 10 will happily eat 5 fish fingers, plus chips and veg, and pudding by the way.
DD 7 will eat 3 or 4.

ByTheWay1 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:38:32

Ours - the older kids get a plate, younger ones a rectangular tray divided into sections - just a plate by another name really - goes in the dishwasher with the round plates... it is easier for little ones to handle as their cutlery, main and pud can all go on at once, and it has a deep lip so the food doesn't slide off on to the floor.

PenguinBear Thu 27-Sep-12 20:39:13

I also work in a school and the amount is the same for everyone, me included.

My year Rs find it too much and the yr6s don't feel it's enough!

blisterpack Thu 27-Sep-12 20:55:45

It's more like a starter than a meal really. DD1 is ravenous at pick up time.

1805 Thu 27-Sep-12 21:03:39

2 f fingers would not provide enough fuel for my 10 yr old boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now