Talk

Advanced search

Wrong clothing etiquette?

(13 Posts)
SlinkyPebbles Thu 27-Sep-12 18:50:24

When DD has come home in the wrong shirt after PE, is the etiquette to wash and take back to school, or just take back as is? Her shirt is clearly labelled, and so I presume will come back, but the one I have has no label.

TheProvincialLady Thu 27-Sep-12 18:53:18

No label? Roll it in mud before you return. They clearly have no standards or expectationswink

Seriously though, without a label it will just end up in some smelly box. I would wash and iron a labelled shirt, personally. But then my boy is only in year one so maybe I am charmingly naive.

Euphemia Thu 27-Sep-12 18:56:53

I'd send it back as it is - they only get sent home to wash at the end of term anyway.

SlinkyPebbles Thu 27-Sep-12 21:11:59

Mmm, good points. Who sends their kids to school without labeling the gear? More money than sense ? Although thus particular school doesn't strike me as wealthy. Too lazy perhaps? Don't care enough maybe?

suebfg Thu 27-Sep-12 21:15:12

Take it back as is - I wouldn't want to risk ruining it tbh

StellaAndFries Thu 27-Sep-12 21:17:58

I always wash before returning.

Euphemia Thu 27-Sep-12 22:36:47

I think a lot of parents credit their children with the ability to recognise, and care about, their own clothing. So they don't bother labelling it. Fail!

CitrusyOne Fri 28-Sep-12 13:28:42

Who sends stuff to school without labelling the gear?

90% of our school!! Although I did teach a class who were particularly talented at reuniting jumpers to owners based on smell alone.

redskyatnight Fri 28-Sep-12 14:40:01

DS has brought home several items of uniform that are not his (including once a pair of extra school trousers - he was wearing his own, the mind did boggle slightly). We have never once had an item labelled.

My rule of thumb is that I'll wash them if I was washing anyway and there is time to get them dried. Otherwise I assume that the other parent would rather have the item back quickly than have it back clean.

Euphemia Fri 28-Sep-12 14:54:58

The parents who make me hmm are the ones who rant and rave at me because their child has lost "A £45 jacket", having left it in the playground. You offer to look in Lost Property, ask if the child's name is on it and get the answer "No"!!!

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 28-Sep-12 15:49:54

DD does secondary lost property, their jumpers are £18.
They have vertical house groups, form doesn't change for 5 years.

She still says that scribbling Fred Blogs A7 in biro so they can be returned is beyond people.

amck5700 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:38:15

depends what day it is - if they brought it home on a Friday I'd wash and iron over the weekend and return - if it was during the week , I'd just shove it back in the bag as is and send it in.

SlinkyPebbles Sun 30-Sep-12 20:19:16

Secondary lost property?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now