Talk

Advanced search

Help with year 2 SATS

(8 Posts)
MammaMo Wed 26-Sep-12 19:50:29

My DS is going to sit the SATS after Easter
What should I be doing at home to help him prepare?
Which papers are best to buy and would it be to early to start now?

I don't want to panic too much but thought it may be best to start early but gradually.

hoolahoolagirl Wed 26-Sep-12 20:11:45

Hi I really wouldn't be concerned about prepping your child for the year 2 SAT's. These test are merely to assess the teaching within the school and do not count for anything really for your child. SAT's are done it a very low key way and most children do not realised they are being assessed! Please don't worry about it, you do not need to have your child revise at this age smile
Hopefully someone will be along shortly to explain more wink

Feenie Wed 26-Sep-12 20:22:39

Y2 assessment is teacher assessment only now - the tests are very small part of the overall assessment and it's mire about how your child works on a day to day basis, just like any other year. You can help by asking your dc's teacher what their next steps are and how you could help at home - again, just like any other year!

Feenie Wed 26-Sep-12 20:30:36

This leaflet has some good activities to do with your child at home.

WofflingOn Wed 26-Sep-12 20:31:07

Completely agree that the tests are part, and a small part, of overall teacher assessment. Practising papers is a worthless exercise, support him with reading, writing, arithmetic and problem-solving and generally encouraging him to be an enthusiastic and confident learner.

noname11 Sun 30-Sep-12 21:45:43

@ Feenie Do you have a similar leaflet for reception & year 1 please? - I have checked the website, but cant find it Thanks smile

Feenie Sun 30-Sep-12 21:54:32

They were only issued for Year 2 and Year 6, sorry.

noname11 Sun 30-Sep-12 22:34:41

no problem, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now