Talk

Advanced search

DS was told today his friend wanted to strangle him

(9 Posts)
PiedWagtail Tue 25-Sep-12 23:44:00

DS - yr 1 - came home today and said his friend told him he wanted to strangle him. sad

He has had problems with this friend in reception too - he can be a nice boy but is REALLY stroppy/sulky/stubborn. I helped in Reception last year and one afternoon I was in, ds was held up against the wall by this same friend, by the neck. sad Also, in Year 1, DS is very good at football and very fast, and his 'friend' has been pushing him over to get to the ball - repeatedly - and has been told off by class teacher for this.

What to do? Mention to the boy's Mum (we are good-ish freinds) or mention to the teacher?? Or something else? DS was upset by it today - he doesn't know the word 'strangle' but knew it wasn't a good thing. Help!

AI being precious?? Is this a normal thing to say in year 1???

quoteunquote Wed 26-Sep-12 00:40:43

I would have a serious talk with the teacher, before you end up with a child with a crushed windpipe, the teacher needs to know so that they can closely monitor what is going on,

someone needs to explain to this child how dangerous his actions are before it goes horrible wrong,

it must be a frightening experience for your son, he needs to be able to go to staff for help, and they know how far the situation has gone before so they can react appropriately,

and have a conversation with your friend, explain what has happened, and ask her how she would like you to support her dealing with it.

Bossybritches22 Wed 26-Sep-12 00:43:42

Nor being precious at all might be.worth a quiet word to the teacher just to share yr concerns.She may well.be onto it already but it would help hre to know in case yr DC is wobbly at any time.

Difficult as there is a fair amount of pushing + shoving with some boys + it can be hard to know in what is a problem or
what high jinks.

Hope it all settles down.

smellsabit Wed 26-Sep-12 00:46:32

horrible for you!
the boy probably doesnt have the same connotation of strangle as an adult.
i would however speak with a teacher to make them aware.
wouldn't personally tackle the parent at this stage myself! (wimp )

wheresthebeach Wed 26-Sep-12 11:55:08

Def have a word with the teacher. Make sure they are aware of the history too so they realise that this is a real issue rather than just 'boys talking tough'.

PiedWagtail Wed 26-Sep-12 12:13:31

OP here - thanks all. Had a word with the teacher and she was aware of the issue and had told other boy off yesterday and spoken to his mum. It's tricky as my ds and the other boy are good friends and this sort of thing doesn't put ds off playing with him!! Odd. Anyway, it wasn't just ds he was targeting y'day so it's not as if he's being picked on by him. Teacher aware, so all good! Thanks smile

Kingcyrolophosarus Wed 26-Sep-12 12:17:33

I would think the mother has said it to him at some point in frustration!!
I'm sure he doesn't know exactly what it means
I was watching the boys in the playground yesterday and there was lots of wrestling type behaviour

Good that the teacher is aware

WeAllHaveWings Wed 26-Sep-12 15:52:58

my mum used to say that to the 5 of us all the time "......I could strangle you!", obviously in a loving endearing way.

Haven't heard that phrase in many many years. Hopefully, as Kingc says he's just repeating his mum.

Harleyband Wed 26-Sep-12 16:22:14

When my DS was 4 he told his TA that he was going to shoot her. He had absolutely no idea what that meant. Couldn't pick a gun out of a line up. He'd just heard someone say it and was looking for a reaction. We told him that it wasn't a nice thing to say but didn't make a big deal out of it (would have spurred him to try it again!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now