Talk

Advanced search

Parents Evening - What should I be asking about?

(19 Posts)
wigglywoowoo Mon 24-Sep-12 23:11:10

DD's first Y1 parents evening is next week but really don't have much to ask. I don't really have any concerns but I don't want to waste the valuable opportunity of speaking one-to-one with her teacher. DD had the same teacher last year so she knows my dd very well and I'm expecting similar social and work ethic feedback to last year.

I'm planning to ask my dd what she thinks I should talk to the teacher about but we talk about school everyday so I'm not expecting any revelations.

Is there anything I should be be asking at the start of keystage 1? eg:
National curriculum levels?
Is it too soon to be asking about dd's targets etc?

I don't want to come across as pushy but I think I may just come across as uninterested.

simpson Mon 24-Sep-12 23:15:40

Have a think about how your DD is doing...

Are you happy with her reading books/homework etc...

Is there anything she struggles with.

How about friendship groups, does she have any problems??

I would ask about NC. Levels (but then I like to know them) and what her objectives are....

wigglywoowoo Tue 25-Sep-12 00:38:40

Thanks Simpson,

I could ask about how long homework should take?

Reading books was sorted last year.

When I have asked about supporting her at home. I have been told to keep doing what we're doing (nothing other than reading) and to not to help her work towards her targets. Afaik she is not stuggling.

Teacher has described her as a dream to have in the class. Popular, happy, motivated. I do struggle with all positivity

Would nc levels be available this early?

deleted203 Tue 25-Sep-12 01:08:22

FFS - the child is 5! Who gives a shit about NC levels? She's popular, happy and motivated. And should be enjoying her time at school. Can you not leave the poor little sod to have fun, as you don't have any concerns about her? Believe me there is plenty of time to be worrying about targets and levels and all the other crap that is piled on them throughout their schooldays.

simpson Tue 25-Sep-12 08:07:27

They should be if you want them...

Sowornout - if someone wants to know the NClevels of their child, why shouldn't they?? How exactly does asking the teacher a question about them stop a child from having fun?? hmm

redskyatnight Tue 25-Sep-12 08:30:00

It's quite likely that a Y1 child won't have a NC level at this stage in the year, so it does seem a bit pointless asking.

OP, I'm with you. I'm always told DD is popular and happy and doing well. Teacher then recites her targets and I wonder what else I'm meant to be asking.

wigglywoowoo Tue 25-Sep-12 10:07:31

The only reason I thought the NC levels might be available, is because she had the same teacher last year and I don't think asking about them means the teacher is going to pressure her to achieve more. The levels are not so important, I know she is doing well but I'm trying to avoid a third parent's evening with the same teacher, saying the same old thing.

sowornout Do you have any suggestions what I should be asking about? I only have one child and it just seems to me that I should be asking questions but I have no idea what to ask. It feels really unproductive and a waste of the one-to-one time.

lljkk Tue 25-Sep-12 10:14:16

Unless you work long hours, & as long as it's a half decent school, you should have many other opportunities to speak one to one with the teacher. Most of them without a queue of other people waiting their turn & limiting your time for a chat. Just make an afterschool appointment when you need. Or even ask for a phone call (lot of teachers do this in PPA time I think).

At Parents Eve, our school usually has workbooks ready for us to peruse, I see what work my child has done before my appointment time, usually let teacher talk (they are the professionals & know what they feel they should say), then I raise any of my concerns. It's only ten minutes, not time for a proper talk, ime.

popsypie Tue 25-Sep-12 10:19:23

This one is usually a settling in discussion. Your dd sounds lovely - well done. smile
I think the teacher will give you small targets for literacy and numeracy. E.g knowing doubles to ten. Or the phase in phonics she is on. Like others have said you will get a chance to speak to your dd's teacher again.

acebaby Tue 25-Sep-12 10:26:30

I would ask about what topics they are going to be doing, how your DD is managing the transition to year 1 (less play based learning) and whether there is anything you should be helping her with at home - practical skills as well as learning.

Your DD sounds lovely. I hope you enjoy your discussion with the teacher smile.

TroublesomeEx Tue 25-Sep-12 10:35:34

I would ask about the NC levels actually.
I would also ask how she's settled into Year 1.
If there are any concerns you could support them with.
What her targets are for the year.
Don't mention SATS wink - you'd be surprised how many do at this stage!

deleted203 Tue 25-Sep-12 13:20:46

Honestly, I would simply ask if she's settling in well to Y1 and if they have any concerns about her. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh but it drives me mad the pressure that is put on children constantly to be 'achieving' random government targets, particularly from such a young age. Children develop at such different rates. If she's happy and enjoying school and you have no major concerns about her I would be content with that.

mrsscoob Tue 25-Sep-12 14:55:57

I don't think you really need to ask anything. You are there for the teacher to talk to you and to tell you how your dd is getting on, I'm sure the teacher will tell you everything you need to know. (That is what I'm hoping anyway as in exact same situation as you ;) )

ByTheWay1 Tue 25-Sep-12 15:22:27

Just listen - that's what I do..... then if anything comes up, you are listening for the nuances, rather than waiting to get to ask something and missing things.

wigglywoowoo Tue 25-Sep-12 20:14:34

Thanks for all the advice guys, Will have a look through her books on the day and listen to the teacher and then just take it from there. At least I now have a few questions that I can keep keep on the burner if I need them.

simpson Tue 25-Sep-12 22:37:50

Hope it goes well smile

cansu Wed 26-Sep-12 22:23:32

If you don't have any concerns , just ask the teacher if they are happy with her progress and behaviour. Tell them you are pleased and leave! I tend to just go along and listen. As a teacher I am also perfectly happy for parents to tell me that they don't have any concerns rather than look for things to ask for the sake of it. Op you Arne lucky enough to have a dc who is doing well and is happy at school. Don't over analyse it! just enjoy.

bacon Thu 27-Sep-12 10:39:46

My experience so far in parents evening and reports - they are not brutal enough far too PC, I have yet to met anyone who had an average or poor report, what a surprise the recent report must of been written 30 times with words like 'generally' instead of poor, needs attention, we have concerns etc. There doesnt seem to be targets anymore and you get told they are working to their ability and we are happy.

Now in year 2 I am not happy I have had to research where he should be with his reading and its no where near the standard. If anything he is going backwards. But they arent concerned!

I wonder if parents evenings/reports are worth any weight.

lljkk Fri 28-Sep-12 07:56:02

Parents whose kids have poor reports don't talk about it.
The targets are often written down in the homework books, if not posted on the wall, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now