Talk

Advanced search

Sensitive to being told off

(6 Posts)
EverybodysCryEyed Mon 24-Sep-12 22:46:30

DS (5) is a good boy (at school!) and hates being told off

Last week he was told off for something that the boy next to him had done. He missed some of his playtime.

I know teachers don't have eyes in the back of their head so I'm not cross about that.

But DS was upset about it and it has been weighing on his mind. I remember being the same as a kid.

My question is - how do I help him deal with this kind of thing? He just couldn't get his head around the injustice and the fear that his teacher thinks he's a naughty boy

BlueSkySinking Mon 24-Sep-12 23:12:05

Talk to the teacher?

EverybodysCryEyed Mon 24-Sep-12 23:16:46

In the situation the teacher didn't do anything wrong - DS just happened to be too close to the action so to speak!

It's just one of those life lessons he needs to learn. i just wondered if there is anything I can say/read him/tell him that will make him less sensitive to this kind of thing

cansu Mon 24-Sep-12 23:29:00

I am so pleased to see such a calm and practical approach to something that seems to cause massive upset on mumsnet. I think you are absolutely right to try and help your ds cope with this kind of thing as you are right it does happen and shouldnt have to be terribly upsetting to our dc. I have a child with ASD and sometimes use social stories with her where you make up a simple story based on a similar scenario and then use this as a way of discussing the problem and getting your dc to see it in the right way. so in your case you could perhaps make up a story where a boy is told off for talking when it was his friends fault. Have the story finish with the teacher praising the boy for something else later in the day and discuss how the telling off was not that important and that people dont stay cross with each other for long. Maybe also try to show in a story that everyone sometimes gets it wrong even children and that it isnt that bad. Not sure how helpful my ideas are but definitely worth tackling this now.

EverybodysCryEyed Mon 24-Sep-12 23:36:36

That is helpful. I started telling him about a time the same happened to me but I couldn't get to a positive outcome!

I think you are right that the boy getting a sticker afterwards for doing something good would work.

EverybodysCryEyed Tue 25-Sep-12 20:24:59

Well he had a better day and got a sticker for doing something well. He did mention the other incident so I said 'oh that was last week, today you got a sticker, tell me why you got it again'

He seemed ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now