Advanced search

Me Again !!!...Just how difficult should it be to get ds's levels???

(15 Posts)
bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 22:25:23

Sorry in desparation I am on doing lots of threads blush I asked ds's CT this morning for his levels inc sub levels .to be put in his bag .. they were not there .

DS is on SA+and behind ..I have never been given levels for him ?...surely they are just in a folder somewhere ?

Any one ..please help

I am going to do a "semi-formal" letter for tomorow for CT and SENCO ..but why the difficulty ?

WofflingOn Mon 24-Sep-12 22:30:38

Don't know, you are entitled to see any records kept on him, how old is he?
You should have got a report with his levels on it.
Ours are on a huge spreadsheet so you can track an individual child's progress from reception to Y6 on a termly basis.

SandStorm Mon 24-Sep-12 22:35:44

How many times have you asked for them? If this is the first time then chances are his teacher hasn't had time during the school day to get them off the spreadsheet and isolate his from his classmates.

Or it may be she didn't want to just put them in his bag. Do you see her to chat to in the evening? Maybe she prefers to hand them to you so you can actually discuss them.

If you've asked for them repeatedly then it's probably time to step up your request to the more formal level you're proposing. It's not a difficult thing to produce.

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 22:48:39

Wofflingon ..that is what I thought ..a spread sheet .but with this ds 3 yr 4 it has been a nightmare ..

We joined the school when he should have gone into y1 ,no places so did R againthen a space came up for yr2 so he jumped up (missed yr1)..end of yr2 no proper levels recorded ???

yr 3 ..diff suppiy teachers ??no levels on report ?

Yr 4 now and I need his levels to see progress as I want to do S/A and show school haven't done enough ...I think he is on yr2 work at a basic level ???? dont even know if he is level 2 .at yr 4

simpson Mon 24-Sep-12 22:50:34

Can you go in and see HT and ask for them??

Or make an appt to see class teacher first....

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 22:56:12

sandstorm ..thank you ...I have asked senco for them lots of times ....I feel they just don't want to give me them .He was in playground at pm and it would have been polite to have said to me time ...appologies or something..but nothing was request was ignored.....even an honest approach of ...."oh no I am so sorry i completly forgot ...when he saw me would have done ?

TheFallenMadonna Mon 24-Sep-12 23:00:32

You need to set up a meeting with his teacher surely? And request that his most recent assessment data is brought to the meeting.

BlueSkySinking Mon 24-Sep-12 23:41:48

Yes set up a meeting by appointment and beforehand state that he can hand over all the info then and go through all the details with you. If he faisl to do that write a formal complaint to the head and govners

bizzey Tue 25-Sep-12 00:02:27

Thank you all ...yes I want a meeting ,but Iwant info/details before hand so I can asses them my self not in front of people .

In my "semi-formal" request how much time shall I give them ?..end of day(tommorow) or next day ..really dont see why I should give them to end of week ...I have got sneeky feeling they have not been doing formal assessments .

TheFallenMadonna Tue 25-Sep-12 07:33:51

What do you mean by formal assessments? I assess my students frequently, and record the data. I would much rather sit down and show you the whole range, explaining what each assessment comprised and what we can learn from it, than just give you a number with no commentary. And I would rather that information for my own children.

wheresthebeach Tue 25-Sep-12 14:41:22

I'd put the request in writing. Make it clear that you've requested the information verbally before and want the info before the meeting. Things in writing seem to get taken more seriously than verbal requests at our school.

Tinks313 Tue 25-Sep-12 15:17:05

Have you not had IEP meetings? If he is SA+ I would expect levels and progress to be discussed at an IEP meeting. They should also be advising how you can support at home during the meeting.

mrz Tue 25-Sep-12 18:05:39

By law schools must report levels at the end of Key Stages - so at the end of reception, at the end of Y2 and at the end of Y6.

bizzey Tue 25-Sep-12 19:02:14

Thanks all ...still no information and not even an invite to discuss it [confussed]. Levels have never been mentioned when I have met with SENCO fact thoese meetings have usually been to update her on new medical stuff.

If an IEP meeting involves a C/T...then no never had one of those either !!!!!

Fallen I don't know what I mean by formal assesments either now !!!I am so confused by it all ...

Its hard to explain but he is a yr2 "standard" in a yr4 class...would his work be assesed as ?2c (guessing here as I dont'know them grin) on his yr4 work or any yr2 work that we do at home that TA gives me ???

AHHH !I think what I mean is a 2c in yr2 equivilant/comparable to a 2c in yr4 ...

Actually now that I have written that and seen it is making my eyes fill up ....I know the answer sad....It's the same 2c ...just very behind

BTW I am guessing 2c ish due to another thread I started on yr1/2 worh and older db's

Tinks313 Tue 25-Sep-12 19:26:34

The C/T can be involved in an IEP meeting, but not always.

You should have a copy of the IEP. An IEP has targets for your DC, actions the school are taking to help your DC achieve the targets i.e extra support from TA/Class teacher and how you will know your child has achieved the target i.e. via assessment.

The IEP should be reviewed regularly, if child has met the targets, new ones are set. If targets have not been met, then school should review why and look at using different strategies with your DC.

If your DC continues not to make progress/achieve targets, then it maybe the child has a learning need and an assessment is required by the Education Psychologist (EP). Your school should have evidence that demonstrates the child has not made progress or very little progress, despite various interventions.

I would request your DC levels and a copy of the IEP. I would also request a meeting with the SENCO and C/T to discuss the IEP and levels.

If you are still unhappy with progress your DC has made you have parental rights to request statutory assessment from your local authority (LA). To be honest in my LA it is quicker this route.

If you need support or advice contact your LA SENAR (maybe called SENAS or SEN) parent support group.

Yes a 2c in yr 4 is the same as a 2c in yr 2, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now