Talk

Advanced search

Any yr1/2 parents or teachers .....advice please !

(11 Posts)
bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 17:56:35

Bit of a long story....BUT I wiil keep it to point .

DS3 is on SA+ in yr 4 but I have never seen any of his IEP'S or even know his levels (but that iis getting sorted)

I know he is behind but just wondering ..how far

What sort of maths work would a yr2 be doing ..or even yr 1. so I can gauge his work that he is bringing home....can't remember what the other 2 did

Thank you

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 18:22:29

My dd1 (just into Y2) just had maths homework: 2 x table, colour the numbers divisible by 2, number sequencing (eg: _ 6 9 12 _ fill the blanks and write some of your own). Y1 was a lot of shapes and sizes at the beginning of the year, and money (how much do you need? What coins would you use?) towards the end.

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 18:40:53

Thanks Happygirl....looks like he is doing ?mid-yr 2......big different circles and cirle numbers in 2/5/10 x table but not at same time and number sequencing forward and back of "big"numbers upto 100..

Is your dd allowed to use a number line ?
TA gave him one ...but I wonder if I should try and let him do it without ?.

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 19:36:44

I don't think she has a number line (they all had them in Year R and were given them to use at home in Year 1). I wrote one out on the bottom of the page for her find the missing number/sequencing homework as it's just easier to count the jumps on paper than mentally (she's also a late August birthday so I'm keen to give her the tools to help at this stage!)

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 20:13:05

Thank you Happy .this is really giving me "food for thought" before I plan my meeting with SENCO about his needs not being fully met .

His sequencing is either in 3/4/5's which I feel he should be able to do in his head....but he still forgets to jump on one at the number he starts with and so counts the origional number when using number line confused

I dont know whether to treat him as a yr4 doing yr2 work or a yr2 doing yr2 work !!!!

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 23:15:14

Not wishing to be rude, but I suspect that sort of 'counting on' will be easily achieved by the end of year 2 (am saying this to try and give an indicator of the stage at which your son might be!) When using a time line, it is easy to see the number you are on (eg: 5), the number to get to (eg: 8) and count on. It's also a good way to tell why your child is getting it wrong if that's an issue! (If a child thought the difference between 5 and 8 was 4 he is probably counting the 5 AND 8; if he thinks the difference is 2 he is only counting the numbers between 5 and 8).

How is he with board games? Eg: roll a 5, move forward 5 spaces. Might be a different way of looking at things!

Happygirl77 Mon 24-Sep-12 23:44:48

This might be useful:
Mathematics at KS1 (infants) www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum/primary/b00199044/mathematics/ks1/ma2

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 23:50:44

Happy ...you are not being rude at all and I appriciate your honesty.

Board games are the same ...he will "include" the one he is on ?

He has delays and problems all over the curriculem ..I am using maths as my example as I understand the progression better than reading/writting.

I need to write my letter to SENCO for tommorow....and tell them to stop forgetting about my lovely quiet boy in the class and DO SOMETHING !!

Thank-you Happy

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 23:53:37

Link came through after I posted ...T-Y

Happygirl77 Tue 25-Sep-12 14:15:57

Ok, how about a stepping stones type game in the garden (or at home with cushions)? He is on one cushion, you are on another cushion with 3 or 4 in between. How many jumps will he have to make to get to your cushion? He might not count the one he's on as he won't have to jump onto it! You could then stick numbers on the cushions or relate it to maths... Sorry if I'm harking on about this too much, it seems maybe he has a mental block about it and if you can find a key to help him unlock it he might progress.

My dd1 (Y2) has an IEP for reading and is on SA+ for neurological issues (she has sensory difficulties). She is very well behaved and compliant at school so I really had to push hard for them to take the issues seriously!

bizzey Tue 25-Sep-12 19:37:15

Happy ..thanks lovely idea ....might not use my cushions as they have seen enough mis-handled use already but maybe the hop-scoch game would get him "to jump on" as you were saying ..and I would have 2 older db's wanting to join in as well !!!

I have another thread going about levels/IEPS/SA+.....how hard did you push and what did you do ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now