Talk

Advanced search

3+ assessment - what's involved/expected?

(18 Posts)
RunraggedN8 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:47:40

I'm really hoping someone can throw some light on this subject. My DS will be sitting the 3+ at a North London school in a few months. Does anyone know what he will be asked to do? He is in nursery FT at the moment but not sure if they will be doing anything specific with him. Thanks!!

betterwhenthesunshines Mon 24-Sep-12 16:25:11

3 !

I would think they would just be playing together, see how he responds with other children and adults. I can't imagine that they are actually going to assess them so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

RunraggedN8 Mon 24-Sep-12 16:48:57

Well, the information we have been given says they use play based tasks to assess mathematical, social and language ability...any idea what these tasks could involve?

RunraggedN8 Mon 24-Sep-12 18:44:50

Bump

bizzey Mon 24-Sep-12 19:35:01

Runragged......are you asking about the routine age 3ish health visitor check that all children have to check their development ....or a specific 3+ "test/exam" like the 11+ to get into private or grammer ?

RunraggedN8 Mon 24-Sep-12 20:20:25

The latter bizzy. It's an assessment at a private school.

mumteacher Mon 24-Sep-12 21:25:01

Play dough - may be asked to use cutters
Sit still whilst being read a story, maybe asked what might happen next in story.
2D Shapes,
Colours,
Recognise name,

RunraggedN8 Tue 25-Sep-12 16:21:50

Thanks mumteacher. Are the assessments similar at every school? Or are the tasks specific for each school? Thanks

givemeaclue Tue 25-Sep-12 17:30:56

perhaps hire a tutor? shock at 3+ assessment. schools in our area just invite them in for a play!

RunraggedN8 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:35:42

Please tell me people don't tutor for the 3+? How?

vikmotherof2 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:47:43

Hi,

My son sent went to an assessment for a private school North London at 3+ where parents could assist at the assessment.
He was asked to:
- count some objects, recognize colours, recognize his name.
- draw his mummy , reproduce patterns in writing. Much attention was paid on how he was holding his pen ( I did not expect that)
- memory game (5 objects, each time one dissappears and he has to say which one), reproduce some patterns in blocks (do a bridge, a house...).
- use the scissors (good I had read that this could be a test and I had tried a bit at home)
There was no interaction with other children.
He did not get in.

He went to another assessment which was organized as a big room with different activities and all children were going together with one person specifically dedicated to assess them. Could not assist. He did not get in.

He went to another assessment not in North London, where you could not assist. He was taken for 45 minutes with one of the teacher, assistant. I had heard many things about it that they had to know their alphabets... but mine did not know it. Apparently they read stories. Not sure what exactly happens but I believe they were looking for a child which is curious, talkative which my son was. He got in.

hope this helps.

Harleyband Wed 26-Sep-12 17:02:30

They are looking for children who will fit in with their classmates so the assessment will focus on what's important for each school. If the school is traditional and wants children to sit nicely and have beautiful handwriting they'll look for 3 year olds who can sit and pay attention and have good small motor skills. If it's an academic school but somewhat progressive they'll look for general brightness, imagination, creativity. The best advice is to know your child and pick a school that will suit them (not necessarily you!). Then no coaching or hints will be necessary.

mumteacher Wed 26-Sep-12 23:16:13

RunraggedN8 let me know which school. If you're not comfortable posting the name PM me.

Yes people have their chn tutored for the 3+ and no it's not necessary. There's a lot of great info on this thread.

Turniphead1 Thu 27-Sep-12 12:52:27

The ability to cut a shape with scissors always seems a biggy. That's probably the only thing I'd practice. But apparently some people do tutor. The mind truly boggles!

majurormi Thu 27-Sep-12 14:07:34

First of all your child is not sitting an exam. A nursery assessment is to week out the ones that appear to have major problems. They will ask the child's name, parent's names ...to see if they are sociable. Maybe do a little puzzle or cut something. Be aware, they are also assessing YOU! There is nothing you can do, so do not stress and stop calling it the 3+.

learnandsay Thu 27-Sep-12 14:14:31

Tutored for the 3+ blimey, what ever next?

AnxiousElephant Thu 27-Sep-12 14:38:12

There is a play based 'test' kit. Usually involves building towers of bricks, pretend play with a tea set or pretend play with a substitute object i.e. using a toy horse to 'jump' over an old fashioned key i.e. the key is the jump. Colouring on a bit of paper to see hand eye and detail, maybe drawing a person (amount of person detail can reveal some social/ cognitive issues). These are designed to highlight any issues in understanding, social and cognitive/ co-ordination. Most children can pretend, do simple drawings, may know colours, be able to count (rote counting doesn't mean much no matter how big the number, its what they do with them). Most children can string sentences of 3+ words together meaningfully.

Turniphead1 Thu 27-Sep-12 16:50:35

majorumi - not quite sure why the OP can't call is a 3+ assessment. That's what the schools call it. She is clearly aware that her child is not sitting an exam - she's not stupid. For example - [http://www.nlcs.org.uk/Admissions4plus/index.php]]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now