Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there a 'best' phonic scheme?

(4 Posts)
Rosebud05 Sun 23-Sep-12 11:07:11

Is there a particular phonic scheme that is regarded as the 'best' ie more effective way of teaching children, including those in the early stages of learning English as an additional language?

I ask because I've heard lots of very positive things about Ruth Miskin's Read Write Inc and wonder if it is widely regarded?

maverick Sun 23-Sep-12 13:18:43

There are several well regarded genuine synthetic phonics programmes of which RWI is one -see all those listed on this page www.dyslexics.org.uk/reading_resources_and_programmes.htm but I'd say that they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Also, it's not just important to have a good programme in place but that the teachers are very well trained to use it correctly. A poorly trained teacher or one who is not keen on using synthetic phonics can destroy a good programme.

mrz Sun 23-Sep-12 13:31:59

RWI was produced in a school with a high level of pupils with English as an additional language and has proven effective. Personally I'm not a fan but that's just down to personal preference.
As maverick says any scheme is only as good as the staff delivering it and their commitment.

Rosebud05 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:39:22

Thanks, especially for the link.

Dd's school currently uses Letters and Sounds and are about to train all staff in RWI to change schemes. L & S has done well by her (comfortably reading white level books at the start of yr 1) and books like Floppy's phonics and Songbirds really gave her confidence as completely decodable, although this has made me wonder whether RWI will prove more effective across the board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now