Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a child who wears hearing aids due to glue ear?

(15 Posts)
Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sat 22-Sep-12 21:56:14

In need of advice! Anyone out there?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 22-Sep-12 22:08:55

After long discussions with ENT we choose not to use hearing aids even when DD only had 50percent hearing and even now the glue ear had resolved she has a 20 percent loss. But we made this decision based on a child who had this problem from 5 months of age and had learnt to speak really well. Her lip reading had been checked and as long as she can see lips clearly and the speaker enunciates well she is perfect.
School have been excellent at ensuring she always sits with direct line of sight to teacher.

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sat 22-Sep-12 22:17:51

Did you consider grommets? I was happy to go along with the consultant saying to use hearing aids until the glue clears however he is full of cold and so deaf even with the aids.....not idea as he has just started school sad wondering if this is the right route.....
Can i ask why your DD still has a 20% loss Lonecatwithkitten

simpson Sat 22-Sep-12 22:20:16

DS had a grommets op in reception as bless him he was really struggling sad

And 3 years later they are still in place and doing their job!!

Mermaidspam Sat 22-Sep-12 22:22:50

DD (now 10) had hearing aids at 6 due to glue ear. She grew out of it at about 8, having had them about 2 years.

We chose the aid route, rather than grommets as she used to swim an awful lot.

She loved them (had glittery ones!) and we preferred that to her having an operation.

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sat 22-Sep-12 22:31:35

Yes, DS loves swimming too!
I wonder if when they retest him with the aids they will need to turn them up?!! He is really struggling sad I have read and read and it seems the use of grommets are reducing and hearing aids being more widely used.....still not sure though....

Theas18 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:40:06

Tricky question. If dd hadn't finally grown out of hers at 11we were gong to discuss this route with her but actually, even when she was very deaf she adapted well.
If he's struggling maybe you beed to look at the whole package (apologise if this is a grannie sucking eggs thing for you) but everyone who talks too you child needs to get their attention and face them. No use saying " he's not in task in class" if he's not sat in the front row and looking at teacher when thins are explained. Gestures, clear diction ( not shouting) etc are all helpful.
Dd lip read a lot of the time. She was so good you couldn't tell she was significantly hearing impaired through most of primary. They need to have absolutely optimal conditions to evolve the skill though - teachers who mumble, or talk whilst writing on the board are impossible.
I'm inherently easy to lip read - have been told by deaf people - tend to move my mouth a lot when talking I guess.

Theas18 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:45:25

Persistent hearing loss after glue ear can be due to scarring of the drum ( from grommets or infections) , Dds hearing isn't perfect now but you'd never know chatting to her. She is also musical but interestingly now plays clarinet which I think gives her lots of other sensations as well as sound - you feel the music through you mouth/ faial skeleton etc. doesn't explain ow she can sing and play the recorder so well though - singing is a " whole body " thing but recorder really isn't.

simpson Sat 22-Sep-12 22:47:36

DS was not even offered hearing aids tbh...

But I think that was due to persistent ear infections and him being in a lot of pain which needed to be sorted as well as the hearing loss....

ReallyTired Sat 22-Sep-12 22:59:56

Ds had grommets at three and half and they were a complete disaster. The grommets came out after 6 weeks and he had constant pus coming out of his ears for 9 months until the holes closed up. After that he had hearing aids for 18 months.

The advantage of grommets is that they give the child normal hearing. Hearing aids do not give the child natural hearing. All they do is amplify the sounds of speech so that the child can hold a conversation.

Grommets have a one in a hundred chance of going badly wrong. This is why many ENT surgeons are reluctant to put grommets into children as glue ear often clears up on its own.

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum if you think your ds hearing levels have dropped then its well worth asking the audiologist to test his hearing and retune the hearing aids.

Hearing aids can help with deafness that is substantially worse than anything that grommets can cause.

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sat 22-Sep-12 22:59:58

Many thanks. I am awaiting sensory support to work with the school and I will push to make sure they get good training etc.
DS has never had infections or grommets so does that mean he is less likely to have lasting problems after the glue resolves??? I am worried the glue itself may cause a problem?

sashh Sun 23-Sep-12 03:03:39

All they do is amplify the sounds of speech so that the child can hold a conversation.

Actually they don't, they amplify all sound and that is a major problem. They amplify the teacher's voice but also the sound of little jonny tapping his pencil and little jenny 's impression of her new puppy.

That's not really useful is it?

Has anyone (just curious, did a lot of Deaf Studies at uni) been offered a portable loop system for their child to use?

Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sun 23-Sep-12 10:06:23

No funny enough that is my first question when i see sensory support. I assume thats the same as an radio reciever FM device.

goinggetstough Sun 23-Sep-12 10:55:52

My DS has had 3 sets of grommets starting at 2 1/2 years old until he was 5 1/2. Each time they did a good job and his hearing was restored. Like the OP's DS my DS didn't have lots of ear infections either and we had no problems with them in. He swam with earplugs and a neoprene head band so no problems there either. I do accept that others have not had such a good experience.

My DS is now at university so all this happened before the change in policy with hearing aids and grommets. So if I had to do it again I would maybe have tried hearing aids first but if there was no sign of the glue clearing up I would have the grommets again. As glue ear fluctuates I am not sure how accurate the hearing aids would be a sometimes they would be too loud and sometimes too quiet. My DS lipreads too but it is important to remember that it is very tiring to do this and cope with a busy reception class at the same time. Plus although he always sat so he could see the teacher he would miss things when playing with his friends.

The additional problem is that if the glue ear doesn't clear up naturally and it gets thicker and thicker it can also scar the ear drum on the inside.

The National Deaf Children's Society has a helpline and a parents forum which is really helpful. They got an audiologist to phone me back when I had questions which was very useful. www.ndcs.org.uk/family_support/how_ndcs_can_help/our_helpline/ndcslivechat.html

ReallyTired Sun 23-Sep-12 13:59:33

My son's school has a soundfield system in every classroom. One of his friends had a radio aid, but in someways its was more trouble than it was worth.

I think that as far as glue ear goes, you have to look at the individual child to decide whether grommets or hearing aids is the right treatment. I think you have to guided by health professionals.

Grommets can cause terrible scarring and if they go wrong then it is real nightmare. When you sign the concent form you never manage your child being the one in a 100 who find grommets a disaster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now