Talk

Advanced search

Treats for 'stars of the week' given out in assembly

(10 Posts)
MummyJ12 Sat 22-Sep-12 11:03:21

My DS started school 3 weeks ago. Every Friday, there is an assembly which the parents are invited to attend. At the end, every class teacher picks out a child or a couple of children from their class who are then brought out to the front to pick out a sweetie from a sweetie bowl. This is in addition to awards which are given out with reasonings behind them. I think the awards are a great idea but I'm not sure about the sweets. No reason is given for the choice of child. What are everyone's thoughts regards this? Does anyone else have this in their DC's school? Thanks so much.

Feenie Sat 22-Sep-12 11:06:49

It's a treat - given once a week. No harm done.

Think it's weird that there is no reason given as to why they are star of the week though, that's very odd.

meditrina Sat 22-Sep-12 11:14:10

We don't have the sweeties (school is big on healthy eating, so no association between congratulations and food).

There was always some sort of reason given on the Star of the Week certificate. And it was pretty obvious to the parents that in reception and KS1 everybody got to be Star.

MummyJ12 Sat 22-Sep-12 11:32:50

Sorry, I should clarify that, It's not the sweets that are the issue, what doesn't sit comfortably with me is that it seems very exclusive and that it leaves the other children feeling rubbish and that they aren't good enough. There are no reasons given for why the chosen one has been chosen. In contrast, the award certificates given out celebrate the children's achievements and efforts.

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sat 22-Sep-12 11:35:12

I am sure, if the school is in any way worth it's salt, over the course of a year every child will get to be star of the week and pick a sweetie.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 22-Sep-12 12:13:02

It is very difficult from what I see in infants. So schools have no star of the week, but do star charts for some children etc. DD ended year 2 very resentful of the whole system as she is a rule follower and she didn't get why some children were rewarded for in her eyes misbehaving and then finally getting a reward for doing what she had been doing all a long. In juniors she is much happier with a house point system where you can win and lose points for various things and there are certificates for 50, 75 and 100 in a term.

bacon Sat 22-Sep-12 12:24:17

Agree - you do do praise a child with food - the children in our school just get praise no food. I dont like this PC way of praising in which eventually every child will get an award...pointless bull.

I would raise this issue. Every Friday - really, what a drag.

halcyondays Sun 23-Sep-12 20:43:15

I'm sure they will each get their turn at being star of the week. My dds's school does it, without sweets, they get a certificate. It has not left them feeling rubbish and not good enough.

idril Sun 23-Sep-12 22:22:48

Are you sure the sweets are not for the children whose birthday it is?

MummyJ12 Mon 24-Sep-12 11:55:00

Definitely not a Birthday treat idril, but thanks for your reply. In response to halcyondays post, I agree with certificates completely, as I have said before, I also agree that these don't have a negative impact. This is because they are backed up with a reason for the giving of a certificate. The children are chosen to receive the sweetie and the teachers do not give an indication as to why they have chosen the DC they have. It is obvious that this upsets a number of children, including my DS! I'm sure he will be chosen at some point, but it still won't stop me from being uncomfortable with it. I just think that it's unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now