Talk

Advanced search

What do you do if your DC cant do their homework?

(10 Posts)
Vagaceratops Fri 21-Sep-12 16:17:08

DS is in year 1 and has SN. He cannot read/write and has poor understanding.

His homework this week is an 'All about me' type thing. He cant answer the questions at all, nor write any kind of response. Its the first homework we have had.

Would you fill it in as if he was answering. I want him to be included if they talk about it and his TA can talk for him in any discussion.

fuzzpig Fri 21-Sep-12 16:26:08

Well, I assume if he has SN they are aware of this and trying to help, and they will know that you have written the answers anyway (ie it's not like you're lying and saying he's done it himself) so I wouldn't worry, just write down his answers smile

goingtoofast Fri 21-Sep-12 16:27:16

I too would write his answers so he can be included in any class discussions.

lisad123 Fri 21-Sep-12 16:27:24

I would fill it in for him but try and explain it to him too, tell him what your writing and if possible if he agrees.

cansu Fri 21-Sep-12 17:50:00

Would scribe for him and maybe write note on back saying how much help you gave him and sign it. might also be worth having a chat with the teacher to discuss how you should be helping him with his homework. I am a bit surprised that he has been asked to do something beyond his capabilities.

Vagaceratops Fri 21-Sep-12 17:53:07

He doesnt understand enough to even comprehend the questions TBH. 'What I like to eat' 'Places I like to go' etc etc.

They are doing a display on the wall, with the childs picture and his all about me. The more I think about it, the more I assume they want me to write it.

I am glad they have sent it home. I wouldnt want him to be singled out as the only one who didnt have his picture on the wall.

cansu Fri 21-Sep-12 17:58:24

Ok they did this in my dd class. She also has quite severe sen. I sent in pictures and the TA wrote for her. As she has improved a bit, the TA writes it in yellow and she goes over the letters. I think you doing it is fine.

DeWe Fri 21-Sep-12 17:58:52

Could you perhaps give him some pictures (google images is your friend!) of things you know he likes to eat, and he can point to one. Then he can print it off, cut it out and stick it in, or whatever of that is reasonable for him to manage.

teacherwith2kids Fri 21-Sep-12 18:09:35

a) Scribe for him. Can he give you some kind of verbal response for you to scribe? Or is he able to point to a picture if you give him a selection to choose from (you could send in the picture instead of your scribed words if you feel that is a response that is closer to his true meaning IYSWIM).

b) Re-phrase the questions, simplify, modify, make more personal in order to help him to understand what is being asked. Don't feel you have to stick with the questions as asked. 'This dinner [point]? That dinner [point]' would be absolutely fine as a version of 'What I like to eat', for example.

What I wouldn't do, unless there is no way of asking the questions in a form that he can respond to, is to 'write as if he was speaking' but in a way that is not in any way representative of what he actually says IYSWIM. For example, I teach a child with significant SEN, limited speech and understanding. Homework was to find out something about your family long ago. His contribution was brought in verbally, and I have scribed it for display 'My family lived in [name of place]'. I could have added a lot more information from my own knowledge of the family, but that would not be representative of him and he wouldn't 'own' it. However, nor would I miss the opportunity to display his contribution with that from the rest of the class, so it needed to be scribed and I feel that to be appropriate.

teacherwith2kids Fri 21-Sep-12 18:10:19

X-post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now