Talk

Advanced search

Fed up with spelling mistakes on dd's learning log - should I say/do something?

(17 Posts)
bunjies Fri 21-Sep-12 12:55:22

This week's mistake on the topic of Romans. "What did Roman's wear?"

Not the first time there have been mistakes. Would you do or say anything? dd is in Y3.

<Tempted to circle offending mistake and put a big ? next to it>

iseenodust Fri 21-Sep-12 13:03:23

I spent last night disabusing DS of the 'fact' that a dodecahedron(sp?) has 11 sides. Of course if the teacher said so then mum can't be right. Resorted to t'internet. If you're going to teach yr4 shapes please do your homework. I shan't raise it but am secretly hoping DS did without being a smartypants.

Acinonyx Fri 21-Sep-12 13:25:51

I'm trying to cure my own yr 3 dd of the over-enthusiastic use of the possessive instead of plural so I would be totally unable to resist pointing that one out.

I'd do something - but I'd need to know the teacher a bit to decide what exactly. Probably comment in the log.

bunjies Fri 21-Sep-12 13:29:57

iseenodust - that is so crap. Surely that messes up the entire the lesson if they don't get that right?!

I do want to point it out in some way, just not sure what would be the best way.

Pyrrah Fri 21-Sep-12 13:37:53

Just cross it out and correct it above and send it back.

Poor grammar and spelling is unacceptable if you are a teacher.

iseenodust Fri 21-Sep-12 14:19:14

It is crap. I think they were probably just going up to 10 sided shapes but then someone must have asked 'what is an 11 sided one called?' Should have set finding out the answer for homework if didn't like to say I'm not sure.

I feel Acino is right in that it is early in the term and we haven't all got the measure of the best way to raise such comments with the teacher. Doesn't help that DS's is the deputy head.

HoratiaWinwood Fri 21-Sep-12 14:22:23

I would mark it and point it out to the teacher in a "I don't know who your parent helpers are but look! Tee hee! Just thought I should let you know..."

But I am a total pedant and former sub-editor.

debs227 Fri 21-Sep-12 22:24:35

Ok so my DD is in Year 3, twice in three weeks i have seen grammatical errors in the homework questions.
This week DD has been asked to write sentences beginning with a certain letter with the instructions from the teacher:-
"These are for display to don't forget to ask for any spellings your need and also do your best handwriting"

And this is going up on the wall!!

Clary Fri 21-Sep-12 22:47:33

DD (yr 7) came home with geography assessment marked, featuring spelling mistakes to correct.

One of them was "apartment" which the teacher corrected to "appartment", DD having to write it out 3 times!

bunjies Sat 22-Sep-12 11:05:44

debs227 & Clary shock.

So, are we all going to chicken out of saying something? I'll do it if you do wink.

Seriously, I think I will point it out but I'll write something in the book.

Mashabell Sat 22-Sep-12 15:02:50

"apartment" which the teacher corrected to "appartment",

We are all much better at spotting the misspellings of others than our own.
The main reason for spelling errors is the illogicality of English spelling: appoint - apartment.

Teachers see so many misspellings that they can become uncertain about what is 'correct' when they are stressed or tired. (Why is there an rr in 'correct'? It makes sense in corridor, but not in 'correct'.)

Weak spellers usually know that they have a problem. What good would rubbing it in do?

If English spelling had some of its illogical gremlins removed, everybody would spell better and learning to read and write would take much less time. The inconsistency of consonant doubling is one of the main sources of spelling errors, yet it could so easily be made more logical.

Masha Bell

LemarchandsBox Sat 22-Sep-12 15:20:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clary Sat 22-Sep-12 16:11:53

I'm a teacher too mashabell and I sympathise with those who have lots to mark.

But surely if you ae not sure about spelling, better to leave possible and even actual mistakes than make a student write out a "corrected" version which isn't even correct!

It was Geography after all, not English - an uncorrected spelling mistake is hardly the end of the world, but a wrongly corrected one is really not acceptable.

I did make a note at the bottom of the work that apartment was correct. And I told DD too, rather more to the point. It's not really helpful iff an incorrect spelling is drummed into her and she learns it wrongly, however tired/poor at spelling her teacher is.

Clary Sat 22-Sep-12 16:12:23

Hah! sorry about that rogue iff there grin

debs227 Sun 23-Sep-12 08:53:20

Bunjies and clary

As a parent governor at the said school I have decided to send the head teacher an email suggesting that teachers should make use of the spell check facility on the brand new laptops they have and duly attached scanned copies of the mistakes for him to see!
I did it in a comical way and besides he is always asking for input on ways to improve the school!

ellesabe Sun 23-Sep-12 23:10:09

You're emailing the head about it???

As a teacher I would be severely miffed if a parent governor did this without highlighting it to me first.

No disrespect to Teaching Assistants as they do an invaluable job, but I am forever correcting mistakes that my TA has made on classroom resources and children's work. It probably was done by someone who was just in a massive rush to get the job done before tacking the rest of the never-ending list of jobs.

I would mention it in a 'helpful as possible' way, but please don't go via the head!

ellesabe Sun 23-Sep-12 23:10:48

tackling

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now